264 Winchester magnum

My wife, long before I met her, killed her first animal (a moose) with her then husband's rifle……a Pre 64 Win. in .264 WM.

She became immediately became addicted to hunting. She borrowed a .243 Win. and went on to kill a Mule Deer and a cow Elk that season.

He husband bought her a new Ruger Model 77 in .270 Win. for the following hunting season, which she was still using when we met! memtb

My wife, long before I met her, killed her first animal (a moose) with her then husband's rifle……a Pre 64 Win. in .264 WM.

She became immediately became addicted to hunting. She borrowed a .243 Win. and went on to kill a Mule Deer and a cow Elk that season.

He husband bought her a new Ruger Model 77 in .270 Win. for the following hunting season, which she was still using when we met! memtb
I believe I've seen you on several other forms in regards to reloading. Do you know anything about that model 70 and reloading for it?

I believe I've seen you on several other forms in regards to reloading. Do you know anything about that model 70 and reloading for?

I'm sorry to say, that I have nothing to offer. I wish that I could help you..

The rifle went to her sons upon their Dad's passing. I suspect that the rifle hasn't been fired in 15+ years. ☹️ memtb

I'm sorry to say, that I have nothing to offer. I wish that I could help you..

The rifle went to her sons upon their Dad's passing. I suspect that the rifle hasn't been fired in 15+ years. ☹️ memtb

I shot the barrel out of my model 70 with 129g Hornady Sp, IMR 4831, Rem case with Rem 9 1/2 primer. Not the fastest load, but killed well near and far.
What did you have for accuracy

Working off of memory, 61g of IMR 4831, Rem 9 1/2, in a Rem case. Check my "memory" against a loading manual.

The barrel was like a sewer pipe on my rifle for a long time, and it just kept on shooting well, I just had to keep the copper out of it.

A friend had one, he shoots H1000 with 140s, and his barrel has lasted him due to this cool burning powder.

Working off of memory, 61g of IMR 4831, Rem 9 1/2, in a Rem case. Check my "memory" against a loading manual.

The barrel was like a sewer pipe on my rifle for a long time, and it just kept on shooting well, I just had to keep the copper out of it.

A friend had one, he shoots H1000 with 140s, and his barrel has lasted him due to this cool burning powder.
Can you get his recipe for the H1000 load he was running? Please

Steve

I have several 264WM rifles, 2 of which are Winchester Model 70's, one being a Classic from the 90's and another EW from 2015/16.
I load 140's/142's in the 9" twist and 150's in the 8" twist using H1000, Retumbo, RE25 and H50BMG in either.
Depends what performance you want, but I recommend either H1000 or Retumbo with general performance goals.
The 264WM is a very accurate cartridge, so I look for higher end loads to boost down range performance. I even have a custom 264WM in a custom REM 700 29.5" 8" twist with custom chamber/throat to shoot ELR.

Cheers.

I have several 264WM rifles, 2 of which are Winchester Model 70's, one being a Classic from the 90's and another EW from 2015/16.
I load 140's/142's in the 9" twist and 150's in the 8" twist using H1000, Retumbo, RE25 and H50BMG in either.
Depends what performance you want, but I recommend either H1000 or Retumbo with general performance goals.
The 264WM is a very accurate cartridge, so I look for higher end loads to boost down range performance. I even have a custom 264WM in a custom REM 700 29.5" 8" twist with custom chamber/throat to shoot ELR.

Cheers.
I have a good bit of h1000 here where I'm at, can you share your recipe for that load or any other that you find accurate

I don't normally share loads, what works and is safe in my rifles may be vastly different in yours.
Hodgdon load data is a good starting point for H1000.

Cheers.
I understand that. I usually back off a 1.5 grains from someone else's load. Cross check book specs on there load in a couple different spots and go from there

Recent Posts