• 284 win

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • 270 win

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • 270 wsm

Votes: 17 11.4%

• Total voters

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm looking at getting another rifle that I can pick up and go hunt what ever with like the calibers I already have. I've been looking at 6 5x284,6.5x47,260 rem and 6.5 needmoor for .264 cal.ive looked at 7mm-08 and 280 ai,280 rem for .284 caliber. 270 win or 270 wsm.but can't make my mind up what to go with.i really like the 30 cal which is what I mostly have all but one 270 win that was my grandpa that he gave me.i would like to try a new caliber I've been learning more towards the .284 caliber due to bigger exit hole if tracking is needed but seems like everyone shoots a 264 caliber something theses days but I don't like small holes and I shoot game in the boiler room and some times at 10 yards or closer depending on were I hunt.my max range is 500 to 550 that I'm comfortable shooting at and that's if everything is just right.i like the ballistics of the 264 caliber but like I said I don't like small holes.as far as handloading supplies gos I have powder and primers for all calibers listed just would need everything else and I've noticed. 284 bullets are easier to find at least for me than 264 bullets and .277are.i can find brass and dies for any listed as well. I'm just not sure what to go with.i would like what ever I get to be a good caliber for my 8 year old to use as well when hunting with me.i will put a brake on what ever I pick as well. I would like some insight on theses calibers if possible as well. Thanks and look forward to the recommendation

Need more information for what you need the rifle to do. Are you looking for less recoil, or does that matter? A light carry gun, or a heavier bean field gun? What animals do you intend to target with the rifle? Do you reload, or is ammo availability in the store important to you?

Need more information for what you need the rifle to do. Are you looking for less recoil, or does that matter? A light carry gun, or a heavier bean field gun? What animals do you intend to target with the rifle? Do you reload, or is ammo availability in the store important to you?
I do handload.and this will be for a carrying open field rifle I mostly hunt deer but want to be able to hunt bigger game as well.recoil isn't a problem for me but my son's hunt with me also so a muzzle device will be installed as well

"All Around"…….none of the above! Start at 0.308", or better yet 0.338"!

Your second post came in while I was typing….. if your son is quite young disregard my suggestion! If he's a healthy 14 yo and up….my suggestion remains! memtb

Hello all I'm looking at getting another rifle that I can pick up and go hunt what ever with like the calibers I already have. I've been looking at 6 5x284,6.5x47,260 rem and 6.5 needmoor for .264 cal.ive looked at 7mm-08 and 280 ai,280 rem for .284 caliber. 270 win or 270 wsm.but can't make my mind up what to go with.i really like the 30 cal which is what I mostly have all but one 270 win that was my grandpa that he gave me.i would like to try a new caliber I've been learning more towards the .284 caliber due to bigger exit hole if tracking is needed but seems like everyone shoots a 264 caliber something theses days but I don't like small holes and I shoot game in the boiler room and some times at 10 yards or closer depending on were I hunt.my max range is 500 to 550 that I'm comfortable shooting at and that's if everything is just right.i like the ballistics of the 264 caliber but like I said I don't like small holes.as far as handloading supplies gos I have powder and primers for all calibers listed just would need everything else and I've noticed. 284 bullets are easier to find at least for me than 264 bullets and .277are.i can find brass and dies for any listed as well. I'm just not sure what to go with.i would like what ever I get to be a good caliber for my 8 year old to use as well when hunting with me.i will put a brake on what ever I pick as well. I would like some insight on theses calibers if possible as well. Thanks and look forward to the recommendation
The difference between .264 and .284 is only .020 difference. I'd say it has more to do with the power and bullet construction of the round vs bullet diameter.

That being said if your primarily hunting deer or black bear sized animals 6.5 creed has always been my go to for that sized critter. We haven't had a critter walk away from out 6.5s yet. Good component availability and you can build out a light weight rifle that wont kick the xrap out of you. About 10 years ago I killed a big boar black bear that dressed at 312. He went 10 yards and folded. He couldn't tell I hit him with that little 6.5 vs a bigger caliber that most people would recommend for bears.

If 8 yr old is shooting it then 6.5 creedmoor. Else I would look at 6.8 western (know it is not on your list), 270 wsm, or 280 ai, 6.5 prc in that order

Only chiming in here because you mention your child…others have given great commentary on a really fle for you, but strictly looking at your child I suggest 6.5x47. It's small and extremely efficient, achieving great ballistics with very little powder, and is easy on the shoulder without a brake, so with a brake recoil will be nearly non-existent. I had one and loved it but it was set up more for targets than game, though with a bullet swap it easily could have handled everything we have in Texas out to your listed ranges. In my opinion, the ONLY downside is that there pretty much only one company making brass for it, but it's Lapua so quality is top tier. So, when you find some, buy a couple hundred pieces and you're good for the life of two barrels.