26 Nosler 127 Barnes data

I'm interested in a brake but I live in MN. I'd have to find someone near me. There isn't many options within an hour of my house so I may have to look a little further. The one gunsmith I did call said $50-60 to thread the barrel.
He's on eBay so it wouldn't be a problem if you wanted one. He has turned 3 for me over the last 6 months and I am very impressed. The 26 nosler didn't "kick" real hard, it would just jump and made follow thru a bear! When i fired it today i couldn't believe how much recoil it removed! My creedmoor with no brake and 8.5lb weight kicks about twice as hard with no brake, I was able to spot shots at 100 yrd with no recoil. I'm happy!

Last edited:
I'm gonna use the lrx this season. I may try the berger again with the rl33. The 869 didn't really group all that well with everything I tried. I've noticed all my Browning prefer either Barnes projectiles, or a heavy bullet. Right now thought the 127 lrx is doing a great job. Let me know if your interested in a brake . I found a good machinist that gives a sweet deal on them
140 VLDs shoot real good in my 26 Nosler at .070 off lands with 77 grains Retumbo at 3360 fps.....and it's Devastating!

3C340099-14C1-40A5-A15A-71CAB8A9C8DE.jpeg

I have some 140 nosler ballistic tips if u want 10-15 to try out. Just pm me and I'll send u some if u like
Thanks for the offer. I have several boxes of 140 grain accubonds. The Nosler Trophy Grade factory loads. I'm going to try out some of these other bullets first I think.

Got to the range today to validate the 79 gr load and pressure test. I loaded 80-84 of rl33 @ 3.40" and at 82 grains it started showing pressure at primers. Bolt lift was harder, but not necessarily stiff up to 84gr, all shots stayed in a one inch group too at 100 yards. I proceeded to 200 yards with 79 grs of rl33, and printed this group that measured 1.899", 1.635" subtracting projectile, equaling a .81 moa group.
20171127_183550.jpg
While the barrel was cooling I loaded 3 rounds at 81.5grs and shot them at 300 yards, which also shot a .81 moa group. I'm settling on the 79gr load, as I live in Texas, and these cool Pennsylvania tempatures don't exist at home. Using a g7 bc of .26ish, and drops of actual shots at 100 yard, 200 yards, and 300 yards, velocity is right at 3500fps. I will chronograph when I go home for Christmas.

Curious how that load of 79 is working for you....in my tests it was real close in speed..maybe as close in accuracy..but still showed signs on brass....I dropped to 77 and it was better all the way around..but then I dropped to 75....way more accurate...no signs on brass...but only 3200fps....happy now....but eventually will try a different powder..maybe get the speed back up....

Curious how that load of 79 is working for you....in my tests it was real close in speed..maybe as close in accuracy..but still showed signs on brass....I dropped to 77 and it was better all the way around..but then I dropped to 75....way more accurate...no signs on brass...but only 3200fps....happy now....but eventually will try a different powder..maybe get the speed back up....
I haven't shot this load above 55 degrees or so yet. When i pressure tested I went up as high as 84 grains. 83 started slightly stiff bolt. 82 barely cratered primer. 81 and 79 shot same group. I figured since I hunt a lot during summer and in the south, I went with the lower charge

Yes...I did same workup in about the same temps here in seidaho..
At the higher charges I experienced hatbrim reduction...the rifle,jumped hard enough and the scope hit the hatbrim hard enough to tear them up...
I believe I at 3.60"oal with the 26..which is pushing the magazine box length....I believe if I were to throat it a touch the reduced pressures would allow much better shooting..and could gain fps much more easily...granted this is Nosler Patriot rifle...and I find it quite nice to actually walk with around the hills...has a
Leupold vxii 6-18 cds......not a heavy rifle by any means...

Yes...I did same workup in about the same temps here in seidaho..
At the higher charges I experienced hatbrim reduction...the rifle,jumped hard enough and the scope hit the hatbrim hard enough to tear them up...
I believe I at 3.60"oal with the 26..which is pushing the magazine box length....I believe if I were to throat it a touch the reduced pressures would allow much better shooting..and could gain fps much more easily...granted this is Nosler Patriot rifle...and I find it quite nice to actually walk with around the hills...has a
Leupold vxii 6-18 cds......not a heavy rifle by any means...
I may be wrong, but I think with Barnes or any all copper projectile when u seat them to lands they build too much pressure, in turn making them prefer a jump around .070ish. Just for shiggles seat 3 at .05,.07, & .1 off the lands and see how it shoots.

I may be wrong, but I think with Barnes or any all copper projectile when u seat them to lands they build too much pressure, in turn making them prefer a jump around .070ish. Just for shiggles seat 3 at .05,.07, & .1 off the lands and see how it shoots.

I agree....I've found they need to be backed off the lands a little. I've found the best accuracy/velocity combination between .030 and .050.

I shot the 127 Barnes shot good, 140 bergers- couldn't get those to group for 3 shots, 160 matrix , those shot decently, and the 143 eldx shot the best with rl 33. Right around 3340. The gun was a fierce edge. I'll pull up load data when I get home . I believe I was 40 thousandths off the Lands, much less picky bullets. I had to sell my gun due to desperation for a spotting scope. I have a mix of all those bullets if you want to buy them as well as RCBS full length dies. My number is 5095213145

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.