26” 270 rifle for mule deer

Timothy, it is a new world hunting out there in the Open Plains, especially if you have been used to using open sights.

Chances are, ranges will go further than you would imagine, best to be prepared.

You are going to have to practice, great time for you and your neighbor to get to know each other better.

Scope choices are another can of worms, especially for a guy who has been running iron sights.

Best Wishes!

I'm in Nevada….muleys, antelope and coyotes…2506 Rem is perfect here…point blank range is 325yds so you carry and learn one gun with out the need for calculating where on the 6.5 creed rainbow arc your bullet's gonna hit.
Elk tags here are one every 15-20 years so the "big game " versatility argument is weak…so if you reload you will be able to fine tune a 1/2"-3/4" moa pretty easily in 2506…even in a Savage or Howa.

If this is just a one off hunt, I'd keep the 7400 and put a nice scope on it. 30-06 is plenty. I own a 7400 in 270 win and it's a shooter with Winchester 130 grain silver ballistic tips and Nosler 130 grain ballistic tips (same bullet from nosler just different amount makers I think)…. I live in Florida and trekked out west several times, every deer I killed out west with my 7mm rem mag, I could've used any rifle I had in my gun safe. After going multiple times you start to realize there's better things to spend money on than a new rifle. Details on the actual hunt would help in determining the things you need. Spend that money in Ammo at the range would be my suggestion.

Thank you to all who've replied. Lots of good stuff for me to consider and I appreciate your suggestions. My couple biggest take-aways are there are a variety of calibers that will do the job, a 26" may be nice but not necessary, and I need to get well-practiced with what I end up with. Along those lines I'm fortunate to live quite close to a 500-yard range so I'll take that recommendation to heart.

I'll find a rifle in January, and will get to know it well between then and October.
Have a happy and safe New Year folks.

Have a 70 year old FN Mauser 270 stock 24" barrel. Have shot it out to 700 yards accurately and shot it past 700 not so much. Today's bullets / powders and optics anything is achievable. Love to have a 26" barrel but don't think it is required. 3006 will do the job with some good optics. Always worth putting the money in good optics with adjustment.

Thank you to all who've replied. Lots of good stuff for me to consider and I appreciate your suggestions. My couple biggest take-aways are there are a variety of calibers that will do the job, a 26" may be nice but not necessary, and I need to get well-practiced with what I end up with. Along those lines I'm fortunate to live quite close to a 500-yard range so I'll take that recommendation to heart.

I'll find a rifle in January, and will get to know it well between then and October.
Have a happy and safe New Year folks.
The new Ruger American Predator 2 are looking real promising.

As others have said, the only advantage of a 26" barrel would be added velocity.

I've hunted MN woods for 40 years shooting a 22" barreled Win. M70 in .270. I've shot deer from 10 yards to 300 yards with it.

A 22" or 24" barrel will work fine for you out west and you can use it in your home state as well. I'm partial to the .270 and I also have a .280ai but there have been lots of good cartridges mentioned. They will all kill a mule deer.

Knowing the distance will be very important.
Get a good scope and practice a lot to verify your drop. It will pay off when the opportunity presents itself.

Good luck!

If budget is your concern buy a Ruger American in a 6.5 creedmore and a decent Leupold scope and start practicing, no problem killing those critters at 500, placement is always priority. Have fun.

Here ya go! Get it in either cartridge.
Thats an interesting option, odd that the 7prc has 22" barrel but the 6.5prc has a 24". They do that with the 280AI too, 22" barrel when about every other manufacturer seems to offer 24". For $850 I may look for one of these.

I would second the 6 creedmore or 6.5prc comments at any length barrel you are good out to 500 and you have a rifle to play with at longer distance. The benefit of these is higher bc bullets than a traditional 270 twist rate which results in less wind deflection (important out west) and holding velocity at ranges longer than you mentioned. If I was me based on prior threads of reviews I've read with your price point I would look at a Tikka 6.5prc really hard.

Pack sand is correct. Find you another used iron sight rifle in 30-06 with even a short 22" barrel which will do every thing you need it to do past 500 yds, even out to 1000yds. You probably already have 30-06 ammo for your M1 and Garrand. Your neighbor is leading you down the wrong road. As suggested, maybe upgrade your iron sights to a scope that has "target turrets" or a "holdover reticle" like a simple Christmas tree reticle - emphasis on simple and not busy. Then you'll have to learn about ballistics calculations to use the new scope turrets and PRACTICE using the ballistics calculations. And you'll need a laser range finder to use with the ballistics application, etc., etc. What a huge and expensive rabbit hole your neighbor is taking you down.

Or, you can just sight your new 30-06 scope in for about 2" high at 100 yds with 150-168 gr factory ammo and hold mid-deer from 10 yds to 350yds. The EASY BUTTON.

Last edited: