250 Savage quickload

dsnook

Hi folks, I picked up a 1950 vintage Savage 99 for my left handed wife. It has a 1 in 14 twist barrel and the only bullets I can find are 67 grain Hammer hollow point. I am at a loss for powder type and charge. Can anyone wi quick charge help me out?

thanks
D

I would, but the sweet tea I spilled into my laptop's keyboard yesterday has kind of jammed things up. I would suggest a powder Iin IMR 8208 XBR/Hodgdon BL-C(2)/H4895 range. Hodgdon's web site has some data for these powders with a 75 grain bullet which may help in choosing a starting load. Given the classic nature of your rifle, you may want to back off just a bit more to start.

Hi folks, I picked up a 1950 vintage Savage 99 for my left handed wife. It has a 1 in 14 twist barrel and the only bullets I can find are 67 grain Hammer hollow point. I am at a loss for powder type and charge. Can anyone wi quick charge help me out?

thanks
D
What powders do you have available?

Thanks, it occurred to me that I can use H4895 and do the reduced load (60%) thing and start around 25 to 27 grains or so.

The Speer 87 Grain Grain Hotcor is great bullet for medium game including deer. It wont come apart on whitetail size game and has a good track record. Try IMR 3031 and Win 748 are easy to load with 87 grain projectiles. Both H4895 and IMR 4895 are also excellent.
I have read where the 100 gr Remington Cor Lokt bullet can be stabilized in 1/14, as it is not too long but I have never tried it.
I have two model 99's, which are both later models with the 1/10 twist. I have used the 100 gr Sierra pro hunter in a Model 99 with with a 20 inch barrel and it worked fine on whitetails with an MV of approx 2840 fps. I used IMR 4320 with that load and found it accurate.