25 Creedmoor - my experience - NRL and Hunting

kmarsh1966

I had considered doing some NRL Hunter matches, so i did a build. Ordered a Brux #5 1:7 twist 26" length. Had it chambered by Aaron Roberts of Roberts Precision Rifles out of Spring Texas. One of the finest precision smiths in the business. We went with a 150 freebore to accommodate the long bullets. Impact 737R action, Bix N Andy Tac Sport Pro trigger with Flat shoe. Hawkins M-5 bottom metal, with MDT ACIS pattern mags. I ended up running this in a Foundation MG2 Stock, with Hawkins Precision Rings, Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 PR1 Illuminated and Atlas Bipod. Rifle weight at this point was 15#11oz. Gun shot solid sub 1/2 moa groups.

Started out load development with Alpha SRP Brass, H4350 and 135 Berger Hybrids. Got them going 2919 with CCI 450 and 42.7 H4350 (this load may not be safe in your rifle. Work up to your load and watch for pressure) I got SD of 6 and ES of 16.

Shot one match. Had fun, and it would definitly be a great training for hunters, skills class, but not something I think I am going to invest in regularly. With that in mind, I decided to cut the barrel back to 24" I didn't think I would loose too much velocity. I had built a 7 PRC for larger game, and thought I would like to salvage the original 25 CM barrel for midsize game. I am a Hammer Bullet Fan boy, not ashamed of it one bit. No need to argue one way or another, I am fine with you shooting what you do and I am going to shoot what I want.

So I did quick load development with the 25 CM and 127HHT (Hammer Hunter Tipped) bullet. I ended up loading it 0.055" off the lands. That stuffed the bullet into the case and decreased some of the case volume. Ran a ladder and settled with Alpha SRP 25 CM brass, CCI 450's, 127 HHT and 43.5 H4350 (this load may not be safe in your gun. (Start low and work up watching for signs of pressure) This setup ended up at 3011 velocity SD of 6 and ES of 23. I'm sure you have heard it before, but any mono bullet will typically not shoot well over a coating of cup and core bullet lead in the core. Be sure to clean your bore and remove all the existing copper before trying accuracy. I learned this with Barnes and 6.5 prc. I had a proof barrel that shout 2-3" at 100 with the Barnes after running Bergers. An instructor I worked with said go home clean the bore and try it again. Next day clean bore it shout 1/2 moa.

When I chopped the barrel I put the action into a Manners PH Stock, and changed to Hawkins Hunter Bottom Metal and mag. I also changed to a Tangent Theta 3-15x50 LRH optic. New Hunting gun shoots well under sub half. Took it on a hunt at a game ranch with clients. (Not my choice to hunt high fence, I'm over that). Was going to shoot a large Gembok Oryx. We got on one, I was shooting from my RRS Tripod clipped in standing. Bull was in a large group. He stopped at about 160 yards pretty much broadside to us. The guide thought he was a pretty good one. His head was canted a little bit and it made the left horn look asymmetrical. I decided to shoot him anyway. The bullet broke his shoulder on the way in, and was a full pass though. Bull ran about 10 yards and dropped. I was a little concerned taking a 350#+ animal with the 25, but my faithful Hammers punch way above class. When we got to him, the guide commented he was stud. Horns almost went past his butt leaning back. The measured 40.75", so yes I'm happy with him and happy with how well the 25 CM performed. I would definitly use this anywhere within 400yds medium sized and smaller game. Will spend a little time with it and confirm dope to 500-600,

Attachments

• IMG_0351.png
    IMG_0351.png
    293.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0352.png
    IMG_0352.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0368.jpeg
    IMG_0368.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 0 bytes · Views: 0
Sorry for the question but a 25 CM is a 6.5 CM necked down to 25 give or take?

Nice Oryx