25-06 and hammers

RCMSTER

About a year ago, I decided I was gonna make that Winchester 25-06 I bought shoot a 116 grain hammer, which it wouldn't do with the 10 twist factory barrel. I put a McMillan stock on it, then sent it out to Diamond T Rifleshop to have it rebarreled. He did his usual accurizing stuff on the receiver while Hart made the barrel and then sent it out to him. I think I've got about 50 rounds thru the barrel now, and I think it's finally starting to settle in. My load is 51.5 gr of Reloader 26, and OAL of 3.040, which is about .025 off the lands. Velocity, according to my Labrador is an average 3050 fps. Maybe I could get more, I dunno, but I think I'm just gonna stop where I'm at.

Attachments

• 2D92DDDC-BB76-46B7-86D0-7CA25CD30D4A.jpeg
    2D92DDDC-BB76-46B7-86D0-7CA25CD30D4A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 222
About a year ago, I decided I was gonna make that Winchester 25-06 I bought shoot a 116 grain hammer, which it wouldn't do with the 10 twist factory barrel. I put a McMillan stock on it, then sent it out to Diamond T Rifleshop to have it rebarreled. He did his usual accurizing stuff on the receiver while Hart made the barrel and then sent it out to him. I think I've got about 50 rounds thru the barrel now, and I think it's finally starting to settle in. My load is 51.5 gr of Reloader 26, and OAL of 3.040, which is about .025 off the lands. Velocity, according to my Labrador is an average 3050 fps. Maybe I could get more, I dunno, but I think I'm just gonna stop where I'm at.

If, that's duplicatable I'd call it load work done!

I have a Lipsey Number 1 in .257 Wea. with a 28" barrel, I wonder what it would do?
I have one of those Lipsey No 1's in 25-06. I bedded the forearm. I've been toying with replacing the trigger, but shooting 120 gr core-lokts, it'll print 1" groups, so I figure that's about as good as it's gonna get. Plus I shot 2 deer with it last year in Michigan, one at 50ish yards, and the other at 240ish, so I'm not gonna mess with it anymore.

I have one of those Lipsey No 1's in 25-06. I bedded the forearm. I've been toying with replacing the trigger, but shooting 120 gr core-lokts, it'll print 1" groups, so I figure that's about as good as it's gonna get. Plus I shot 2 deer with it last year in Michigan, one at 50ish yards, and the other at 240ish, so I'm not gonna mess with it anymore.
No, mine is a 257 Weatherby

What twist rate did you go with? I've got a nula 24 being rebarreled with a 1-7 twist K&P barrel by long rifles inc. I'm planning on shooting the 125gr hammer hunters in.

What twist rate did you go with? I've got a nula 24 being rebarreled with a 1-7 twist K&P barrel by long rifles inc. I'm planning on shooting the 125gr hammer hunters in.
Twist is 1-8. Debated about going 1-7, then asked about 1-7 1/2, but Hart didn't offer that twist as an option, so settled with the 8 twist. I have no plans on shooting anything heavier than 120 grain. That's what I have a 6.5-06 and 264 win mag for. I'm plenty happy with my 8 twist so far.

Twist is 1-8. Debated about going 1-7, then asked about 1-7 1/2, but Hart didn't offer that twist as an option, so settled with the 8 twist. I have no plans on shooting anything heavier than 120 grain. That's what I have a 6.5-06 and 264 win mag for. I'm plenty happy with my 8 twist so far.
I built a 1-8 twist 25 in a Douglas barrel 25-284 last year . I dont see the need for anything heavier than the 117 gr Hammer , that will stabilize in a 1-8.5 , that being said I'm getting 3874 fps using RL19 , cci200s. and Lapua brass with the 90 gr absolute . It has very light recoil and is accurate. I would give the 90 gr a try find a powder that allows full case fill before pressure , something a tad slower than H4350 be sure too stay with standard primers . Too get full potential out of that cartridge get the best brass for the job , there is a difference when pushing it for full potential. I don't know why the 117 gr Hammer isn't mentioned more but it was specifically designed too make the 25 cal shine , not too light and not too heavy for the 25 cal

Recent Posts