243win Speer or berger?

284wins

Hi Everyone,

I got myself a 243 winchester, tikka t3 varmint Stainless, for deer hunthing this year.

Got 2 load that print about 1/2 Moa, one is with the Speer btsp 100 gr the other one is with berger hybride hunthing 87gr.

Im a fan off Speer btsp for hunthing but Im wondering if I should go with the berger.

They have same POI at 100yrds and m'y shot Will be max 300yrds for that rifle.

What would you take ?

No experience with the 87gr Berger, but I currently run the 95gr Classic Hunter in my 243 pickup gun amd it has laid down everything I've shot with it....mostly pigs. Nothing wrong with the 100 Speer either, especially with your limited distance on shots. Use em both and let us know how it goes?

My first answer to a question like this is almost always use what shoots best in YOUR rifle. Your post seems to indicate that both bullets you mentioned shoot roughly the same. I have no doubt that either would work. I've never loaded Speer bullets, but I do have quite a bit of experience with several different offerings from Berger with exceptional results in all but one instance. Make sure that the tips are open and if you do your part, those Bergers are absolutely wicked on critters.

Hi Everyone,

I got myself a 243 winchester, tikka t3 varmint Stainless, for deer hunthing this year.

Got 2 load that print about 1/2 Moa, one is with the Speer btsp 100 gr the other one is with berger hybride hunthing 87gr.

Im a fan off Speer btsp for hunthing but Im wondering if I should go with the berger.

They have same POI at 100yrds and m'y shot Will be max 300yrds for that rifle.

What would you take ?
Both will work for your intended purpose. Berger is my go-to bullet. Go with the Berger; it might just surprise you. Just know that Berger bullets are fragmenting bullets by design and dump massive energy on impact.

243 was my favorite caliber when living in the south and have taken way too many deer to remember numbers but I used 95 gr Nosler Partitions and also used 85 gr Partition when I could not find 95 gr.
Both shot well and deer could not tell the difference in the 2 loads.
They did shoot at different POI so I bought as many boxes as I could afford as I had to adjust POI.
Have also used 100 gr Speer as well but became harder to find at times since they were so popular in 6mm caliber.
I have long felt the 243 is the perfect deer caliber for where I lived.

I would shoot them both out to 300 yards or further & see what happens.

This is the best suggestion since it will answer your question with results you can see on target.

While the .243 Win. is perfectly adequate for hunting deer, I've always tried to exceed the adequate by using slightly heavier bullets and even slightly more streamline bullets in order to give me a better potential in case distance is exceeded or the shot might need more energy. Err on the side of having more velocity and more energy then the bare minimum.

I have run the Speer traditional cup and core designs now for many years on some hunts with nothing short of excellent results.

Test at 300 or longer to show definitive results not guesses.

:)

Both will work for your intended purpose. Berger is my go-to bullet. Go with the Berger; it might just surprise you. Just know that Berger bullets are fragmenting bullets by design and dump massive energy on impact.

I Do know and m'y 6.5x300 is loaded with berger 156gr eol. IT m'y first expérience with 243winchester, not use to go that small un caliber so that why am asking