240 gibbs and vld's

dirtball

Will the 6mm 105 and 115 gr Bergers hold up at the velocities generated by the gibbs or are the jackets too thin? , was thinking about a 1-7 twist. How about Richard Graves 6mm 120gr rbbt, is he using a heavier jacket? Does any one recomend a groove-twist rate, was not planing to shoot anythig lighter than 105gr.

Thanks
Dave

I don't know just how much more "thunder" the 240 Gibbs has over a 6x284, but I am driving 105 Bergers at 3275 in a 1:9 twist Cooper 6x284 with no apparent problems. However, the barrel is new and is smooth as silk; no problems with the Bergers...

I don't know just how much more "thunder" the 240 Gibbs has over a 6x284, but I am driving 105 Bergers at 3275 in a 1:9 twist Cooper 6x284 with no apparent problems. However, the barrel is new and is smooth as silk; no problems with the Bergers...

Craig
According to one of the reamer rental websites, I think it was 4-d products, which provided case dimensions. The 240 gibbs has about a 7grain additional case capacity over the 6mm 284. I was looking at the gibbs mainly because I picked up a set of standard dies and an S-Bushing die for next to nothing and had been thinking of doing a 6mm in 6-284 0r 6-06ack. But with that extra 7 grains I can burn up the barrel even faster.
Dave

This is an old thread, without an answer. I know the answer, which may help someone in the future.

The 105 Berger VLD will hold together to a velocity of at least 3,870. I have load data for a very similar cartridge to the Gibbs and the data at top end, high pressure, is to 3,870 fps without notation of disentigration or jacket shedding.
Best,
Ed

Ed, you should qualify your declaration with twist rate.

I'll declare this:
The Berger 105VLD will not survive 3870fps at recommended twist(8tw).
It would survive it only in a very marginal twist(like >9tw).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.