22BRA Varmint rig

bar_n

Hey guys. I have a nice ish 22-250 that was setup as a Palma gun, with a shot out barrel. Was initially thinking about doing a 22 Creed on it, but the more I read about 22BRA the more I think it makes more sense for my situation. High volume, long range PDs. So my question is, what is the optimal (longest) barrel length for 62gr ELD-VTs, on up to 80gr Bergers? Is 28" too long? Weight is not a concern. Was planning on doing a 7.5 twist to get the most out of the 80gr VLDs. Any thoughts?

I say go for it. I am in the process of specing out a 22 dasher reamer since my smith only has a 22 br. I'm already set up for 6 dasher so a new bushing is all I'd need for dies. I have a 7.7 twist krieger rem varmint but can't decide if I want to male it more of a walking varmint/predator gun and shorten and flute it or not.

I have a 7.7 twist krieger rem varmint but can't decide if I want to male it more of a walking varmint/predator gun and shorten and flute it or not.
I have a 223AI with a 26" Medium Palma, basically a Remington Varmint with a longer shank. It's definitely not a truck gun, but not terrible to carry on a tripod for a little ways. Just right for walking around and parking a few places throughout the day. I'd probably want something shorter if I shot more coyotes.

Looking at Bergers Stability calculator, I'll be fine with an 8 twist and 80s where I'm at. I'm not totally excited about having to order a custom reamer for the BRA, but I haven't exhausted all my options on finding one locally.

I'm in the same boat. I don't want to ship my rifle or pay for an alpha legacy reamer. I'm going to call tomorrow and order a 22 dasher reamer spec'd for peterson and lapua no turn and throated for 88 eldm.

That will be a fun setup. Dasher definitely looks like the easy button. I've never had anything with a long neck, hence wanting to try the BRA. How much freebore are you gonna need for the 88s?

Hey guys. I have a nice ish 22-250 that was setup as a Palma gun, with a shot out barrel. Was initially thinking about doing a 22 Creed on it, but the more I read about 22BRA the more I think it makes more sense for my situation. High volume, long range PDs. So my question is, what is the optimal (longest) barrel length for 62gr ELD-VTs, on up to 80gr Bergers? Is 28" too long? Weight is not a concern. Was planning on doing a 7.5 twist to get the most out of the 80gr VLDs. Any thoughts?
28" would be good. 62gr eld vt should go 3500-3550 and 80s at 3200. Although 80s at 3200 in a 7.5 will be at 307K rpm. Might be better off with the 85,88,or 90gr for your heavy load. Plenty of guys running over 300k rpm but just something to think about.

8 twist is the way to go. Been there done that. 88's are great but the 75gr ELD-M is a great combo for BC and velocity. I myself shoot the Berger 80.5gr full bores.

.22 Creedmoor 40 degree.

6.5 CM 135gr Berger (Left)
22 CM Improved 80.5gr Berger (Right) 3333fps 22" barrel.

IMG_6999.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

300 Yards.

IMG_3518.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I've settled on an 8 twist. Definitely don't want to push my luck running suppressed. Any word on how the 62 ELD-VTs are working out? The 75 ELDs kind of look like the way to go price wise if they'll shoot. I didn't have intentions of buying cases of Bergers to shoot at rats, but I can play with them at least.

Now that 22 Creed improved is cool! Not approved of by coyotes. Any idea if it helped out with barrel life at all?

Sounds like you have your barrel twist nailed down now. I think I'll be ok with the 7.7 I already have for my 22 dasher.

I also ordered a reamer so probably 4 months out. It is set up for my 6 br peterson brass I'll fireform and a no turn neck. Should be shooting by late summer. If you change your mind and want to go 22 dasher let me know.
Whichever you go with I'd like to see your results.

Recent Posts