.223 Varmint Factory Ammo recommendations

I too have a Stag model 6, 24" bull 1-8 twist, and I shoot 50gr, V-Maxes, and 50 gr. Barnes Varmint Grenades loaded with 26grains of Hogdon Benchmark powder & CCI S.R. Primers. I bought 500 rounds of Federal 55 gr. fmj from Cheaper than Dirt when I bought the gun. Broke it in with some of them, and reload that brass. Mine shoots that load awsome, and I have not tried any others? Maybe I'll try some heavier bullets for those windy days, but I sure like those 50's I have now!!gun)

Michiganhunter.
You thought you might like to try a heavy bullet.. Take a look at Berger's 75gr match.. It's a tip over artist out of an AR15 with a 1-8 twist barrel.

Thanks 436,
I'll give them a try, along with some hunting bullets in that weight. Should be good for some longer distances, and wind ? I'm thinking about getting another coyote gun, and am torn between the 22-250, and maybe jumping up to a 243? T/C Venture 243 or T/C Venture Predator 22-250? Hmmm:cool:

243 has way better ballistics, wind/drop, over 22-250, unless u get a coustom twist to shoot 75/80gr Amax only...

A friend of mine bought some of those (relatively) new Hornady Superformance Match 75s and hooboy, do they ever shoot accurately !

The 60 gr. Hornady TAP ammo might be a viable option also.

I've found that the 60gr TAP FPD ammo that uses the (Hornady V-Max Bullet) is actually the same as the Blackhills 60gr bullet which also utilizes the (Hornady V-Max Bullet) but at about half the cost. Both bullets have the same velocity of 3100 fps.

Blackhills sells V-Max 50 round packs for $32.00 vs TAP FPD sells 20 rounds for $27.00

I use the 60gr Blackhills V-Max not just for cost savings, but they make a nearly perfect bullet with extreme accuracy that will dust any coyote out to 300 yards with an AR-15 platform rifle.

Special Note: The 55gr is only 200 fps faster than the 60gr, but the 60gr sure makes a huge difference in the size hole and is less prone to wind drift. (I personally prefer the 60gr)

I've found that the 60gr TAP FPD ammo that uses the (Hornady V-Max Bullet) is actually the same as the Blackhills 60gr bullet which also utilizes the (Hornady V-Max Bullet) but at about half the cost. Both bullets have the same velocity of 3100 fps.

Blackhills sells V-Max 50 round packs for $32.00 vs TAP FPD sells 20 rounds for $27.00

I use the 60gr Blackhills V-Max not just for cost savings, but they make a nearly perfect bullet with extreme accuracy that will dust any coyote out to 300 yards with an AR-15 platform rifle.

Special Note: The 55gr is only 200 fps faster than the 60gr, but the 60gr sure makes a huge difference in the size hole and is less prone to wind drift. (I personally prefer the 60gr)

ya. the 60 is my new bullet as well.. i always used the 40gr, and its good under 300y, but the 60 makes the diffrence past that, and hits harder... the BH ammo is a GREAT value

I just ordered some 75gr. A maxes from Midway. They only had the molley coated (about $4.00 more) and some 55 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip Boat Tails to load up for my Stag 1-8 twist. Hope the results are as good as eveyone wrote about!! I'm going to try Varget powder, and the rest of my Benchrest, and give them a try!!gun)

I just ordered some 75gr. A maxes from Midway. They only had the molley coated (about $4.00 more) and some 55 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip Boat Tails to load up for my Stag 1-8 twist. Hope the results are as good as eveyone wrote about!! I'm going to try Varget powder, and the rest of my Benchrest, and give them a try!!gun)

You wont have any problem with either of those cartridges. The 55gr should shoot well from your 1-8 twist rifle. The 75gr will shoot great from the 1-8.

A while back I found some ammo for break in of new barrels that was made by winchester
in 40round boxes . It was 40gr varmint bullets and the velocity was very good.

It was very cheep at the time and I though it would be OK for break in. as it turns out it was
better that good .All of the rifles that I fired it in liked it.

It is in white boxes 40 rounds to the box and at the time was under $10.00 a box.

I don't know what it is now but if I run across any more I will get all I can.

So far I have only seen it in 22-250 and 223 rem.

J E CUSTOM

Its called Winchester in the White Box 223 45gr JHP 3600 fps and comes in a 40 round box for around $23.00

Last edited:
I use Federal 55gr. FMJ to sight in & ***** /gigles. Go to Federal web site, they aren't that bad. Walmart, $40 / 100. I use this as cost basis. gun)

Thats the stuff that most of us use for target practice. Dunhams sporting goods just had a sale on the stuff. (Black Box) 20 rounds for $6.99 a box. I bought $300.00 worth of it. It's extremely accurate FMJ ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.