.223 Varmint Factory Ammo recommendations

Hornady sells 55gr Softpoints in 50 rd boxes for 30 bucks and I found it quite accurate out of my SPS Tactical in .223 at 100 yards gun)

I just ordered some 75gr. A maxes from Midway. They only had the molley coated (about $4.00 more) and some 55 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip Boat Tails to load up for my Stag 1-8 twist. Hope the results are as good as everyone wrote about!! I'm going to try Varget powder, and the rest of my Benchrest, and give them a try!!gun)
Do yourself a favor and follow the recommended cleaning regime prior to and while shooting moly bullets. I didn't and had a terrible time removing the cake in my .222 Remington barrel. Also if you load the 75 grain A-Max at AR magazine length the ogive will encroach the case mouth. I single load long for a jam but have heard that when loaded at 2.260 they work fine but have a strange appearance.
All apologies for the hijack.

its either gonna be the hornady superformance or the berger VLD, i would shoot both and see how my gun did with both then i would decide then but both rounds are hot

Heck, I'm just buying Fiocchi 50 & 60 grain v-max ammunition for $19.00 per 50 rounds. Don't make sense to reload anymore. Fiocchi ammunition shoots great out of my AR-15 Colt Match Target with H-barrel. I use the 40gr Fiocchi for squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, & opossums. The 50gr & 60gr for coyote. Fiocchi is a great choice for varmint hunting.

Hey RamboMike, Long time , no hear. Let's not pirate this one, ok? LOL. Yeah, factory fodder has come a long way in the accuracy dept. I have wildcats so I have to reload. But, I just ordered 20 boxes of Hornady Superformance Match 75s in 223 . I ain't got a clue why ! But, I have a good friend who shot it into itty bitty tiny holes. Could be my clue.
Cheers, Charles

My 20 in. 1/8 Armalite AR shoots Hornady 75 match under 1 in. at 200 yards but they don't expand to well at 2600 muzzle velocity. Getting good groups with Superformance 53 gr vmax at 3250 fps and Black Hills 60 gr vmax.

Match ammo is not designed for hunting or expansion. It is a match grade bullet designed for paper targets for sighting in a rifle or for competitive shooting matches. Never purchase Match ammo for hunting purposes or (FMJ) Full metal jackets.

-RamBowMike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts