.22 Rimfire, cleaning

Mike6158

I just spent the last 3 hours cleaning my 7mm Rem Mag. Method attached. It's not my invention. I took it from a video by Erik Cortina and Speedy.
A lot of the time is waiting for the chems to do their job.
I used three Tactical Advantage products.
(1) Carb-Out. I used it in the beginning and at the end
(2) Accelerator
(3) Patch-out
2 and 3 take the bulk of the work. All three are good for getting rid of carbon and copper. All three require dry patches. I follow the last of the chems with alcohol followed by Lock-Eaze. Normally I'd run a dry patch after the alcohol and borescope it, then run the Lock-Eaze through it. I'll run a dry patch through it before I shoot it again (soon).

When I borescope'd it after I cleaned it the first time (in a really long time) and put the photos on a different forum, pronounced it freshly cleaned and asking what I was looking at. I got told "boy that rifle ain't clean, it's nasty." It wasn't that bad :/ but it was pretty carbon'd up starting about 4" past the throat and out about 18". Past that it was clean so I "guess" the powder burns pretty quickly.

I used IOSSO paste on it once (kicked butt) and "the attached procedure" a few times after that (between shooting sessions. I don't just randomly start cleaning rifles). I don't have a borescope right now (it broke) but I think it's finally clean. Famous last words...

My little CZ457, aka "Vente Dos" which is Texan for veintidós which is Spanish for twenty-two. Never, ever, never ask me what time it is unless you want to know how to build a watch, just sayin.

So, .22 rimfire powder isn't the cleanest burning stuff in the world. Lead is the likely other fouler. I have Bore-Tech rimfire blend, I could try that. Or I could hit it with the Tactical Advantage stuff, maybe swap Patch-Out with Wipe-Out (for cleaning AR's which are also dirty), and then try the Bore-Tech solvent. The thing is, I don't like mixing chemicals. Not telling what you'll get if you do that.

So the question is - how are you cleaning your .22 rimfire rifles?

Attachments

• Barrel Cleaning.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 63