22/250 varmint rifle?

The Savage Long range Precision Varminter has a H-S stock, yes you are right the price is higher. I am not 100% they make the 1-9" for the 22-250, but I think they do. Like'ta get my hands on one.
12LRPV.jpg

They do make the long range single shot in a 1 in 9 twist
The long range repeater only comes in a 1 in 12 (These came out after the single shots)
They also make them in 223, 204, and 6 norma BR

Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Last edited:
I'm not positive, but I think savage quit making the 9 twist barrel all together for the LRPV.

I have a cheap 12 lfv in a 22-250 and it is back at savage going on 9 or 10 weeks now (its been so long I lost track of time) because It wouldnt' keep groups less than 1.5" at 100. The LRPV is in a different class however. I am one of very few who have had bad luck with savage, but I'll admit that it is their cheapest rifle save Stevens.

If I would do it over again I'd get a Tikka hands down (price range involved as well as absolutely outstanding accuracy on my current Tikka 300wsm).

My mood may change when I get my savage back from the factory however ;)

Ditto on the savage ,my 12 fv is well under an inch with factory loads out of the box and my best handload you can cover 3 shots at 100 yds with a dime.

I have two. If weight is not a concern I highly recommend the CZ550 varmint. It is about 13 lbs without scope but is notable to mention it is my second most accurate rifle of all time excluding my two BR rigs. This thing is not picky with ammo selection. As a matter of fact, the only way I could picl one load over another was with 300+ yd comparison. My best group is a three shot .060. at 100. I didn't have the guts to try for 5 and ruin this sweet of a group. My 300 yd best out of this gun is a .176 and 350 is at .562. My 400 yd is a .816. This was all shot of a bipod and bags. This is truly incredible from a non custom rig. It has a set trigger that us fully adjustable. Mine is down in the 6-8oz range. I can't tell you how much I love this rifle. It is a coyote killing machine. (and a few deer too!) Muzzle velocity is 3688 with less than 20 fps spread extreme with a 52 grain Watson custom BR bullet. I also have a Ruger Varmint. I like the steel, the stock, the weight but I HATE THE TRIGGER. I will replace it soon with a rifle basic 14oz. (great triggers for Ruger) It shoots acceptable for a factory offering but in NO way can match the accuracy of my CZ. Here is the company info on the rifle (also available in .308) YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!
CZ 550 Varmint Laminated

the set trigger is awesome! You have a fairly decent trigger without it, set it and it becomes unreal! Still have a hunting trigger if you need one. CZ's are terribly under rated. My smith has one in 17 m2. We have shot actual flies of the backers at 75 yds. I am going to have to find that picture. Fly guts and all! Got a friend to purchase one in the American, All his Remington and browning buddies ragged him pretty hard till he took them to the range. They left with jaw slack, and tons of questions. I hope the secret stays fairly well kept. I really like their current prices!

Ken

Closest thing I see is the 6.5X55. I always wanted one of these as well. After I finish my current black gun project I may steer this way.

Hello. I have the Savage 12 LRPV in 22-250 with the Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mmLR w/30mm main tube, Talley one-piece base/ring combo (highly recommended), and a harris L-series bipod. I've never shot factory ammo out of it, so don't know how it groups there; but with handloads, the best groups are one small ragged hole (under .14") @100yds. I've never shot a single 5-shot group over an inch, including when I was breaking the barrel in. After 26 shots tho, the groups shrunk drastically, even with the crappy "break-in" ammo (mid-range velocity w/cheap bullets and primers) (i.e. 3/8"). I have the 1:12" twist 'cause I like the 52gr and 55gr bullets, but I work at a sport shop and I KNOW that they make the LRPV in a 1:9" twist in 22-250. Highly recommend this gun, but the whole setup weighs 14.8 lbs. A little heavy for walking a few miles.

Speer 52gr HP are what the rifle likes, can send pics of gun and groups if someone wants to see.

Savage rules!gun)

Buy one with a good trigger. The Savage has a nice reputation for accuracy and trigger action right out of the box. I have custom guns, but if I were new to varmint hunting, I would seriously look at the Savage, provided the company offered the caliber I was after.
Plus, the price seems to be right.

savage 12 is extremely accurate out of the box but it is on the heavy side. And a remington 700 is not as accurate out of the box and ligher than the savage

The CZs are truly underrated, I have a 550 varmint kevlar in 22-250 and it flat out shoots. It doesn't matter what you feed it either factory fodder or handloads it just doesn't care. My best group to date is a five shot .250" group at 100 yds. That was shot off bipods and rear bag. The other nice thing besides the set trigger is the controlled feed, nice being able to lay a round in and close the bolt. They are a bit heavy, but with the way it shoots that is easy to overlook! I shot a friends one day and had mine a week later, and have seen the same thing happen two more times since. Just a great gun.:)

Remington 700 varminter 22-250 26 inch heavy barrel . More accurate than the shooter and factory ammo 4000 fps. Easy on barrel wear and reasonable ammo prices. Changed the stock on mine, no pillars, no bedding . Vortex hst viper 4x16 , very satisfied .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.