22-250 COAL with 1:8 Twist

JRS3

Hello guys,
I am getting a 1:8 twist Lilja barrel installed on a SA 700 in 22-250 Remington. I want to shoot 62 grain TTSXs but need to figure out what Cartridge Overall Length to tell the smith to throat it for. I believe SAAMI is 2.35" but I have to push the bullets in to far so I am thinking about going to 2.53". What do you suggest?

Thank you,

John

Hard question to answer without knowing the magazine length and how far the bullets are going to want to jump (if they want any jump at all).
If using a magazine, I would load one 5-10 thou under then measure to the ogive for your smith. This should let you start load development touching the lands and adjust jump, if needed, without intruding too much on powder space.

The magazine box is a standard 700 SA with an inside length of 2.735", according to Brownell's.

I don't want it to be extreme but correct for the 63 TTSX or similar length bullets.

Is anybody shooting 62-75 grain bullets in a 22-250?

When loaded to SAAMI COAL of 2.35", the longer bullets have to be seated too far in so I want to pull them out a bit. After some research, 2.50-2.60" looks acceptable for the TTSX and AMAX. Does anyone agree?

You should be able to fine tune the numbers some. The gunsmith should have a handle on what is customary, as to the throating length.

I wouldn't go to far just for the longer copper bullet, then ending up with a longer jump for most others. Just an idea.

A standard 22-250 reamer produces a long throat, as is. In two different barrels that I have had chambered for 22-250 (chambered by different smiths), best accuracy loads for everything from 50 grain VMAX's to 69 grain SMK's ended up seated within + or - .010 of 2.430" and around .080 from the rifling. 53 grain VMAX's and 69 grain SMK's showed nearly identical COAL's to the rifling (approx. 2.510). I would expect the 62 grain TTSX to fall into a similar OAL range in a standard 22-250 chamber.

Based on my experience with the round, I don't believe obsessing over throat length in the 22-250 is a worthwhile effort.

In this Photo (if I was able to get it to post), you will see a 62 grain TTSX loaded to the SAAMI length of 2.35". The bullet has to be pushed in too far so I want to pull it out some.

http:// [URL=http://s755.photobucket.com/user/jrs3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG957111_zps4a375235.jpg.html][/URL]

IMG957111_zps4a375235.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Does my question make sense now?

I understood your question from the beginning. There is plenty of room in a standard 22-250 chamber to load longer than SAAMI length. You don't need to throat specifically for your bullet. SAAMI length has nothing to do with actual chamber dimensions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.