22-250 Ammo Recommendation?

I've been shooting 55 gr Hornady SP at about 3700 fps for a few years. It's a pretty hot load out of my rifle. Kills coyotes, coons, cats, hogs, and deer dead.

For general hunting, Norma ammo is very accurate in my 22-250, 14" twist, 55g is good for all small game.
If going after bigger things like hogs, goats and deer, I recommend one of the 69g loads available, you can choose your poison on bullet brands. Personally, the Norma is the only factory stuff I use, went off both Remington and Winchester when bullets were not staying together on hogs to my liking.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I have killed a bunch with a 1@12 twist. And a nosler 55 gr bt. I am looking at getting a Tikka t3x 22 250 1@8 twist. Liked to turn it into a 22 250AI. I have been killing hogs lately. With my 204 ruger with a Berger 35gr hp.

I haven't used it much on game, but my 22-250 loves StaBall 6.5 and Hornady's 68 grain bthp bullets. Right at 3600 fps, and super accurate, it's a 1-9 twist, you should be able to shoot even heavier bullets if you go with 1-8.

Thanks guys. Will I be able to stabilize 60-65gr. bullets with my new 1:10 twist barrel?
I would think the 60's should work and maybe even the 65's. Some bullet manufacturers let you know minimum twist required to stabilize their bullets. I missed your 10 twist comment in the beginning of the thread before I posted.

I killed a lot of whitetail, and pigs, and a lot of other stuff with factory 55gr core-lokt. My pet handload for it was a 55gr sierra spbt and imr 4064.

The rifle was a bone stock 700 adl. It shot both loads inside half moa. I killed more stuff with that rifle than any other I've owned to date.

I have killed a bunch with a 1@12 twist. And a nosler 55 gr bt. I am looking at getting a Tikka t3x 22 250 1@8 twist. Liked to turn it into a 22 250AI. I have been killing hogs lately. With my 204 ruger with a Berger 35gr hp.
You will like the tikka…my 6.5 cm in the T3x is a tack driver. I have shot 300,600,1000 yard competitions and it did well…my scope and skills is the only thing that held me back. Best of luck on which ever way you go but that round you want to go with is a tack driver and will be fun.

How does the 204/35 combo work for you? (Guessing well, since it sounds like its been successful / you are continuing with it). Any thoughts on shot placement?

Just asking because that sounds like about the lightest/smallest/fastest combo i recall hearing about lately

Expecting my C6 prefit back soon. 24" 1:10 twist. Coyote and maybe an occasional whitetail or pig will be the gun's intended use. Texas elevations. Thanks in advance.
If you're a hand loader, you might look hard at Sierra #1395 65gr SPBT Game King I used it for years in my Wby Mk V Varmitmaster .22-250 for both Yotes and Deer they do a great job, and it's a very accurate bullet. Cheers

How does the 204/35 combo work for you? (Guessing well, since it sounds like its been successful / you are continuing with it). Any thoughts on shot placement?

Just asking because that sounds like about the lightest/smallest/fastest combo i recall hearing about lately
Killed this sow in a run. Shot her right behind the leg. When there standing. I will put it right below the ear. Coyotes I will shoot them behind the leg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240917_122342_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_122342_Photos~2.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 8