22/243 rifle:

ronniea

Can somebody gave me information about a 22/243. Reloading information. I am building it on a savage receiver.

Assuming that you have a fast twist barrel (8") you can save lots of time, money and throat wear by starting with RE22 and using 80gr SMK's or 75gr A-Max bullets. Other powders may work too but RE22 seems to be accurate and fast in all the 22/243 guns that I am familiar with.

With an 80gr bullet you will peak out at around 47 grains. I'd start with 10% less and work up while breaking in your barrel.

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that you have a fast twist barrel (8") you can save lots of time, money and throat wear by starting with RE22 and using 80gr SMK's or 75gr A-Max bullets. Other powders may work too but RE22 seems to be accurate and fast in all the 22/243 guns that I am familiar with.

With an 80gr bullet you will peak out at around 47 grains. I'd start with 10% less and work up while breaking in your barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Quickload, RE-22 tops out around 44gr with the 75gr A-max. 47grains is a compressed load with a load density around 109% and WAY over pressure.

Be careful, different seating depths and brass thicknesses can change pressures drastically.

According to Quickload, a MAXIMUM load of 44.8gr of RE-22 gives a velocity of around 3380fps for the 75gr A-max and a 24" barrel (COAL 2.65") (105% load density).

I have no direct experience with the 22-243, just plugged the numbers into Quickload for you.

Hope this helps,
Don

I am shooting 45 grn of reloader 25 with a 80 berger jammed into lands shoots 3 tenths at 300 3 shot group, do not have a chrono but I think its about 3400 according to drop. I love thi rifle.

I've been shooting mostly the 22-243 in the Ackley configuration. I regularely use 48.2gr RE22 under a 75gr A-Max moly bullet that is loaded .007" into the rifling. Velocity is 3,670 ft/sec. Lapua brass life has been good. Best group to date has been .625" fired at 600yds (witnessed). Groundhogs drop to the shot out to 1,000yds with this combo.

I'm very surprised at the "max load" and "loading density" indicated by your Quickload software. It doesn't seem to jive with my loading experience BUT I am shooting the AI varient. Hmmmmm

Several 22-243 shooters that I know are getting the same velocity as I am (using RE22) but with slightly less powder. I assume that they were also working at higher pressure because of the slightly reduced case capacity.

AJ Peacock:: Thanks for your input and words of caution to the original poster. Wildcats tend to be strange beasts and it is always best to err on the side of caution. While my experience has provided me with some specific data, it can only be considered as a single source of information that should not be the exclusive source for working up loads in any other rifle. For that matter, <font color="red"> ALL </font> loading data posted on the internet should be verified by reliable sources before assembling ammo.

OK - class is dismissed now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

AJ Peacock:: Thanks for your input and words of caution to the original poster. Wildcats tend to be strange beasts and it is always best to err on the side of caution. While my experience has provided me with some specific data, it can only be considered as a single source of information that should not be the exclusive source for working up loads in any other rifle. For that matter, <font color="red"> ALL </font> loading data posted on the internet should be verified by reliable sources before assembling ammo.

OK - class is dismissed now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

VH: what is the water capacity of the 22-243 AI? as that variant isn't listed in Quickload. The 22-243 shows a water capacity of 50 grains of water.

Thanks,
Don

I shoot a 75gr Amax with 48 grains Rel 25 and a Federal 210 primer. My oal is 2.750. Everyone I know in this neck of the woods shoots about the exact same load. This is in a 22-243 Winchester with a 1 in 8 26" on a Remington 700.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been shooting mostly the 22-243 in the Ackley configuration. I regularely use 48.2gr RE22 under a 75gr A-Max moly bullet that is loaded .007" into the rifling. Velocity is 3,670 ft/sec. Lapua brass life has been good.

[/ QUOTE ]

What barrel length are you shooting that load out of? I don't know of any .243s that can get that kind of velocity with a 75 grain bullet... heck, I shoot a 6mm Rem. and can only get about 3600 out of a 75 V-Max. I bet case capacities are almost identical 6mm Rem vs. 22/243AI... so, at equal pressure the 6mm should have a pretty good advantage in the velocity dept, but this is apparently not the case.

I guess I don't understand how a 22/243 can shoot a 75 grainer faster than the .243 can... if this was common wouldn't a 7mm Rem. and .264 Win. shoot 140s at the same velocity? Or a .270 should shoot 150s as fast as an '06... right? Please understand, I'm not calling BS... just trying to figure out what the variables are that allow this type of phenomenal velocity gain to occur.

One difference is moly coating. AI rounds allow for running higher pressures before pressure signs show; in other words, the sharper the shoulder angle the 'easier' a case can hide excessive pressures. I don't know if that is clear or not, but ponder on it and hopefully it will make sense to someone.

Hogslayer, I have not chronoed my rifle, but the guy that builds these says they shoot between 3600 and 3700. I do not show any high pressure signs in my gun. I have a friend who shoots 49 grains Rel 25 and he has some bullets explode before they reach the target on hot days. I do not know what fps the A-max is good for but it must be close to 3700. I have 4 reloads on my current brass, and the only signs of anything is some primer pockets loosening. These are awesome guns- I will now own one till the bitter end.

the sharper the shoulder angle the 'easier' a case can hide excessive pressures.

Steve, you're gonna have to explain that one. i think you'll find pressure is equal in all directions.

The sharper shoulder angle hides pressure signs easier. That is how PO Ackley, Gibbs and others obtained their claimed velocities by going beyond SAAMI pressure limits. If you load a .270 WW to 67kPSI and a .270 Gibbs to 67kPSI, you may have to beat the bolt open on the standard .270 because of brass flow whereas the Gibbs case will not exhibit the same flow until higher pressure is reached. I will try to find a scientific explanation for you.

Bottom line is its true, I just don't know the right way to explain it.

[ QUOTE ]
The sharper shoulder angle hides pressure signs easier. That is how PO Ackley, Gibbs and others obtained their claimed velocities by going beyond SAAMI pressure limits. If you load a .270 WW to 67kPSI and a .270 Gibbs to 67kPSI, you may have to beat the bolt open on the standard .270 because of brass flow whereas the Gibbs case will not exhibit the same flow until higher pressure is reached. I will try to find a scientific explanation for you.

Bottom line is its true, I just don't know the right way to explain it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 40 degree shoulder may "hide the signs of pressure" better... but that doesn't make it safe to shoot excessive pressure!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.