2024 Montana Elk Non Resident Draw

woodsman1991

Who all is putting in for Montana non-resident elk or big game combo this year? Ran the math and decided against buying a point for myself.

Do you mind if I ask you two a question? I'm looking at options other than co for western hunting. Elk and mule deer. How many pref points does it take to draw a decent unit in Montana? Not trophy stuff, just decent respectable bulls n bucks. I understand there are pref and bonus points. Thanks

I'm not really knowledgeable about MT but the preference points apply to only drawing the general elk/big game combo tag. Typically when you have 0 preference points you have roughly a 50% chance of drawing the tag. Usually very low chance of drawing with 1 point and 80%+ chance of drawing with 2 or more preference points. Drawing the general tag will allow you to hunt about half of the state in general units. That is all I've ever done. I've hunted DIY and had some success. Typically dealing with a fair amount of pressure but still it was fun going out west and hunting elk.
The bonus points are what you use to draw the limited entry units. I'm accumulating some bonus points now and plan to apply for a limited unit in the future. According to Epic and Huntin Fool there are some fairly decent units that can be drawn with 5-10 bonus points but they can be drawn with less points, you just have to be lucky in the draw.
I think decent bucks and bulls can be found anywhere in the state, especially on private lands, even in the general areas.
I don't know if that helps you any. I have never drawn a limited entry tag to know the difference.

I thought the preference point was for the limited entry and bonus for the easier draw areas? I could be wrong, I've been researching several states. Thanks for the reply

I thought the preference point was for the limited entry and bonus for the easier draw areas? I could be wrong, I've been researching several states. Thanks for the reply
Nope, preference is for general tags, bonus is for limited entry. You have to draw the general tag before you're even considered for a limited entry tag. While applying, you can elect to keep the general tag if you don't draw the limited entry tag and just hunt general units or you can elect an 80% refund and have no tags. Sounds difficult but once you apply you'll understand.

Results are out. I didn't draw but the wife did. Her first elk hunt upcoming!
Congrats and hope you have a great time. My buddy and I did our first ever elk hunt last year in MT and we both score nice bulls. We are both retired and have saved for decades to use an outfitter. It was a thrilling experience.

Please report back after the hunt.

I heard CO is looking for out of staters…
Ha ha !
My last Colorado Elk hunt it was like combat fishing for Steelhead here in Michigan.
Plus now I see the price of $803 .00 for a Cow tag ?? Holy Smokes
Good Luck with that CO...plus you have to stand in line with the Wolves !
Not for This Guy !

Rum Man