2022 AZ ELK Draw

Well here it will be 70° today and down to 60° by Sunday, though it was 86° yesterday. It'll warm up to the 80's again next weekend

For the AZ November elk hunt you'll have beautiful weather, no doubt.
Not necessarily "beautiful weather". In 2019 it was snowing, raining, rigs getting stuck everywhere. We had to leave a truck and camp trailer behind in unit 10 until the following month to try and get it out. November hunts are hit or miss with weather as Elk country in Az can be nice and sunny or a blizzard in November.

AZ residents

Me = no hunt
13yo = no hunt
11yo = no hunt

Boys applied for all cow youth-only hunts. I applied for a mixed bag. zero for three.

Kinda makes it challenging to get youth into hunting. Oh well, another year of video games.
You're absolutely correct. I am in Colorado. I have recently spoken with several DOW officials while attending a fundraising event. I asked them if they might start selling point insurance so that hunters can pass on the points they have accumulated from years of applying for a simple elk or deer tag to another family member.

I have known them a long time and they knew I wasn't kidding. I explained that when tags take 5 and more years to get with no guarantee that you'll even see an animal let alone take one, these tags ALL may be someone's "once in a lifetime" tag.

They knew exactly what I meant since this fundraiser was for the family of a man we all knew very, very well. He had been killed in a car accident. Never got to take his twins deer hunting. His "group" (the 3 of them) had accumulated 3 points. Even with the Colorado youth tags they still had to wait. Yes, he could have had the boys apply for separate youth tags for increased odds. But, what if only one of the boys drew a tag? He always said that he couldn't wait to take his boys hunting just like his father had taken him.

This is happening in every state. Best form of gun control is to simply make it uninteresting for kids. Why practice shooting and learning about weapons if you never get to use them? Most guns are purchased for multi-use with hunting being only one of the major uses. However, as far as most kids are concerned, it's their only reason and opportunity to handle a weapon. Most don't have a gun range in their back yard.

You're the perfect example. Young people you want to share a hunting experience with and it's impossible. At their ages they will lose interest quickly since THEY NEVER GOT THE CHANCE! So much more they would learn from preparing for and actually hunting with you that has nothing to do with harvesting an animal. Good luck next year!

Last edited:
Not necessarily "beautiful weather". In 2019 it was snowing, raining, rigs getting stuck everywhere. We had to leave a truck and camp trailer behind in unit 10 until the following month to try and get it out. November hunts are hit or miss with weather as Elk country in Az can be nice and sunny or a blizzard

In all the years I hunted with my dad up there we got snow twice and rain once, but we didn't have it bad at all.

Hopefully you have good weather this year and get to fill your tag.

Not necessarily "beautiful weather". In 2019 it was snowing, raining, rigs getting stuck everywhere. We had to leave a truck and camp trailer behind in unit 10 until the following month to try and get it out. November hunts are hit or miss with weather as Elk country in Az can be nice and sunny or a blizzard in November.
I had an elk hunt in unit 10 November 2004. What a nightmare. I forget what the name of the hurricane was that caused all the rain... My buddy and I each drove our trucks . He had his quad in truck bed. I had mine on a trailer with some of our gear. The trailer was like pulling a plow thru 2 ft. of mud. Wheels weren't even turning . The quads in the deep mud... I won't even discribe. We took turns pulling each others trucks out. Once he got stuck in front of me. I had to stop. I got stuck. You couldn't get out of the two track in mud cause it was so deep. We unloaded a quad. Hooked the winch from it to front of truck. He winched while quad was in reverse digging a hole which helped . Actually pulled truck out of the ruts up on to firmer mud. Did it to my truck with trailer next. Pulled the quad out of its hole. Loaded up and finally got to Hwy. Went into Flagstaff and had a drink or 10. I wish we had a video to show Polaris Co.. I had red mud under my truck for yrs. Still have scratches on my windows from powering up and down with mud on them. That's my unit 10 story.

Last edited:
We had the tag last year and WOW...what a circus.
People everywhere. Not just hunters. ATV/UTV riders, campers, etc

I'll tell you where NOT to go.
Stoneman Lake, Apache Maid, Rattlesnake Canyon.
Probably won't get any better over time. Went to Colorado last year to tag along with my son inlaw, only saw a couple other hunters, but there were hikers and mountain bikes literally everywhere.

I had an elk hunt in unit 10 November 2004. What a nightmare. I forget what the name of the hurricane was that caused all the rain... My buddy and I each drove our trucks . He had his quad in truck bed. I had mine on a trailer with some of our gear. The trailer was like pulling a plow thru 2 ft. of mud. Wheels weren't even turning . The quads in the deep mud... I won't even discribe. We took turns pulling each others trucks out. Once he got stuck in front of me. I had to stop. I got stuck. You couldn't get out of the two track in mud cause it was so deep. We unloaded a quad. Hooked the winch from it to front of truck. He winched while quad was in reverse digging a hole which helped . Actually pulled truck out of the ruts up on to firmer mud. Did it to my truck with trailer next. Pulled the quad out of its hole. Loaded up and finally got to Hwy. Went into Flagstaff and had a drink or 10. I wish we had a video to show Polaris Co.. I had red mud under my truck for yrs. Still have scratches on my windows from powering up and down with mud on them. That's my unit 10 story.

"A drink or 10". Baaaaaahahahahahha

I just applied for points again this year. If I can stay healthy, I will apply for an actual tag next year and hopefully get to burn those 24 points.
I wish you luck! Was gathering points for a Colorado antelope hunt. Never thought when I first applied this would become a "once in a lifetime" hunt due to point creep. Finally drew my tag at 13 points. Twenty-five days before the season opened my mother-in-law became very ill. Hospitalization, ECU, etc.

Missed the hunt and lost all of the points forever because I was inside the 30 day mark where Colorado would have restored my points. I did get the tag refund but it wasn't about the money! 13 years to draw the tag. I think we should create an insurance plan where our accumulated points can be passed on to a family member if something happens to a person. After all, we're not just collecting points. In some or many cases hunters are passing on hunting an entire year in the hope to hunt a specific species & unit at some future time.

This is becoming a huge problem due to point creep in every state. I have hunting partners who have way over 16 on their way to 24 and more points. Due to their ages and health, a few may never live long enough to use their points. I know there are forum members here who have been deciding just to use their points now. Their hope for that "special hunt" is now no more than a dream or a lottery ticket. How many of us hunt because our fathers, grandfathers, and/or uncles got us started in hunting? How many youth today will become life long hunters if the only thing their adult mentors can become are unpaid guides?

Hunting isn't about just harvesting something. There are already participation trophies. They're found nicely wrapped in the meat aisle of your local grocery store or butcher shop!

Seems like hunter retention is not a problem, in any state. Getting an opportunity at big game is becoming frustrating in my own state, likewise for some other western states.
We had 25 "not drawn" just in archery elk in our group of hunting friends, all resident tags.

Seems like hunter retention is not a problem, in any state. Getting an opportunity at big game is becoming frustrating in my own state, likewise for some other western states.
We had 25 "not drawn" just in archery elk in our group of hunting friends, all resident tags.
Actually that's not true. Most non-western states across America have been seeing hunter numbers dropping for decades. This means the most avid hunters apply even more pressure on the western states. Especially those states that still have some over the counter tags. Sounds just like inflation (we call point creep). Too many hunters chasing too few tag opportunities. The biggest problem is the average age of all hunters is increasing dramatically year to year. Plus side if you're young? In under 20 years there should be a lot of tags available as we older hunters move on to hunt in a different area!

I grew up in PA. Whitetail hunting was as close as you could get to a national holiday. Generations hunting together. Still that way in most of that state which has people constantly complaining about the orange army. I have heard that same sentiment for 50+ years though.

Last edited:
Actually that's not true. Most non-western states across America have been seeing hunter numbers dropping for decades. This means the most avid hunters apply even more pressure on the western states. Especially those states that still have some over the counter tags. Sounds just like inflation (we call point creep). Too many hunters chasing too few tag opportunities. The biggest problem is the average age of all hunters is increasing dramatically year to year. Plus side if you're young? In under 20 years there should be a lot of tags available as we older hunters move on to hunt in a different area!

I grew up in PA. Whitetail hunting was as close as you could get to a national holiday. Generations hunting together. Still that way in most of that state which has people constantly complaining about the orange army. I have heard that same sentiment for 50+ years though.
I disagree. All of our junior hunts are lottery tags. Many juniors do not get drawn. There isn't an otc hunt tag here. The only leftover tags are for javelina or turkey which are a second lottery. Anything else is rare to apply for leftovers.