$20 e-bay brake. Why not?

Why go radial, when you can do a simple directional + crush washer to get better performance and less stuff flying when you touch off a round?

Unless it's for esthetics, in which case an eBay brake probably isn't going to look great either.

Why go radial, when you can do a simple directional + crush washer to get better performance and less stuff flying when you touch off a round?

Unless it's for esthetics, in which case an eBay brake probably isn't going to look great either.
I timed my brakes from Ross myself. Didn't like the washer method. I used a diamond stone and worked the brake down slowly on the stone till it was timed for perfect direction.

Simplicity. I'm planning to play with several barrels. Radials just screw on to whatever barrel - no timing. I usually don't shoot prone in the dirt other than in a hunting scenario. I could get a self-timing brake, but why spend for something you don't need?

I've done the same in the past. Couple strokes with a fine file, then check for fit. Lather, Rinse, Repeat until just shy of indexed, then finish with a stone.

Not exactly rocket-surgery.
Mine mostly tightened down where the top ports were at the 1:00 so had to go about 320° around the barrel to get TDC. Took about 30 minutes on the stone but it's a flat surface. No way I could have got it completely flat and look good when screwed down if I used a file.

Simplicity. I'm planning to play with several barrels. Radials just screw on to whatever barrel - no timing. I usually don't shoot prone in the dirt other than in a hunting scenario. I could get a self-timing brake, but why spend for something you don't need?
If you insist on radial brakes, here are some.

I will never own a radial brake. Side ports only.

If you shoot seated or prone, the radial brakes blow dirt/sand/rocks/vegetation/dust/small rodents/etc. all over you, your rifle, and your optics. No thanks.
Same here. I still have one with Vais but it came with it, but replace it as soon as I get around it.

shopping for a simple radial brake. Any reason not to buy a $20 no-name brake off e-bay? I feel like radial brakes are not a precise example of machinery. It's a threaded tube bigger than your bullet diameter with holes drilled in it.

Any thoughts? Other options for a budget-friendly radial?
If you have a gunsmith to finish/install the brake or if you have the equipment/knowledge to do it yourself you really can't beat a Harrells radial brake.

Last edited: