20-250

darndt

I am getting ready to start another project and thinking about a 20-250. I want to shoot the berger 55gr. Anyone have any data on this caliber or suggestions on another 20 cal laser?

I have a .20-250 set up with 40 grain bullets. 1 1/2" high at 100 yards, hits 1/2" low at 300 yards. That's at 4125 fps. I don't have the twist for the 55's. You might get 3700 fps with the 55's.

I would find out from Berger if their 55 gr bullets have any kind of velocity limits as you will certainly be pushing them MUCH faster then they were originally designed to be driven.

Not saying they will not work but if they are designed for the likes of the 204 Ruger and Tac 20, you may see problems at what you can drive them to in the 20-250.

Just something to research before you dive into the project. The reason is because with a twist appropriate for the 55 gr pills, if they do not work, you will have ALOT of RPMs for the lighter bullets and they may well not work either.....

Very good point Kirby! Looking at Bergers website, they recommend an 8 twist for the 55 grain 20 caliber bullet. That's allot of rpm at 3700 fps!
Just to clarify, I had a phone conversation with Todd from the Woodchuck Den last week and this bullet was mentioned. He thought velocities at or near 3700 fps could be reached, maybe more?
Berger Varmint Bullets

9cf2ca06-ff1a-4410-8e27-4bd139b02bad.jpg

I've been using my .20-250 exclusively for calling Coyotes for the last 5 years, love it.

Here is a picture from a Predator club I belong to, tallying up "proof of kills" for this season.
85% of those where killed with my .20-250, with a 40 grain NBT.

Since my last post, I've re-barreled it. The 12 twist Lilja wasn't cutting it, wouldn't shoot and also fouled badly. Replaced it with a 11 twist Krieger, much better now!

The Smith who built mine (Greg at Gre'Tan rifles) has a .20-250 set up for 55 grain Berger's for sniping Coyote's. I know he whacked one in the neighborhood of 700 yards this season. He would be happy to give you the low down.

Gary

Wow!

Yea i contacted greg and he was very helpful, but told me he is about a year out. What is your process for forming the dies? that for me is the only thing that gives me second thoughts on it.

Thanks

January2013076.jpg

This is my "big twenty" in action. A day of calling after a good snow fall.

It's fairly basic setting up your brass. I use a Redding .22-250 "full length bushing die". The necks need to be reduced using 3 different sized bushings, ( you can't reduce the necks from .224 to .204 with one size bushing) the body does not get altered. The shoulder will fire form slightly after the first firing. My chamber is a "tight neck" and requires neck turning the brass, among other things. I'd be happy to give you all the details, if you so choose to go with it.

Personally, for a Calling rifle, hands down, I prefer the flat trajectory offered by the 40 grain bullet vs. the 55 grain bullets slower velocity/ rainbow trajectory.

Greg is a busy guy, a year is about right and he's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. He has the reamer too and will build the chamber around the "dummy round" you set up. I know he was moving his shop, among other things and I got caught up in it with my last build, it took 18 months. Pretty sure that's behind him now, should be smooth sailing.....

Throat wear is not an issue, certainly not "chasing" the lands. Most always, it's a single shot fired and off to the next stand.

Gary,
Nice pile of tails. Was wondering what vel you are running with the 40gr NBT's?

Right now I am messing with a 204AI running 38gr Unmussig's at just over 4100.

Kills coyotes well, but may have to try the 40NBT's also.

Regards
Kelly

Hi Kelly!
We finally cross paths, AKA "Sparky" at Huntmasters. Are you using your "Machine Gun" for those loads? LOL.....

At 26.2 grains of VV N550 in Lapua brass and with the 40 grain NBT's, the best I can get is 4115 fps and that's at max pressure, just short of leaving ejector marks on the case head and with a little effort to lift the bolt after firing. I didn't set this caliber up to be conservative. I use to load two different weights for warm/cold days, not anymore.
I find the VV powder a bit temp sensitive, especially here in the desert with the wide temp swings from early mornings to warm afternoons. It seems to be the fastest powder, so I put up with it.

I started out with Don's 38 grain bullets. Tried both the 7 and the 9 Ogive and both failed 50% of the time, would simply "splash" on Coyotes. I was getting 4300 fps using PMC brass with those bullets, what a difference a couple hundred feet per second will do compared to your performance. Maybe his bullets are a bit tougher now? It was 6 years ago when I tried them.
I also tried Berger's and Blitz Kings in 40 grain's and a couple other custom bullets that where suppose to be "bonded" with the same poor results. Wouldn't think of using V Max....

Enter the NBT's with their "solid base". I'll get a splash once in a while on a shoulder hit but will still make a quick kill, I'm convinced the base remains intact and continues through, splash or no splash....

I've seen the difference shooting P-Dogs and Rock Chucks with the Ballistic tip vs. V Max and Blitz Kings, those two are much more explosive. If it wasn't for the Nosler's, I'd be "SOL". They group well too, under an inch at 200.

Gary

thx Gary. So far this year been going back and forth between a 17-204 with 30gr Golds and the 204AI with the 38's.
Looking forward to some cold weather calling.

Sparky - Take care and stay after them...Kelly

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.