1st time hunter needing mentor

Mister TK

I'm a long time firearms enthusiast, particularly long range target shooting. I even have my NRA Instructor and CRSO Certification. But I'm getting the itch to do some actual hunting. I've gone for pheasant before but never anything with my rifle (.300WM for reference).

I'd like to go for deer, eventually hog, etc but I have no idea where to start. I'm in Northern Illinois, and hike/camp all over Wisconsin but I'm not opposed to traveling just about anywhere. I'd just feel a lot better going out for my first hunt with a group of experienced hunters to show me the ropes; so I can become more self sufficient at this. I'm not looking for trophy hunts - this is to fill my freezer and provide for my family.

Any thoughts? Advice? Know of anyone to recommend? Any guidance is truly appreciated!

Welcome, from Colorado.

I think you are going about this in the right way. While I would be quite a drive for you, I can guarantee that someone on here will pipe-up and point you in the right direction.

You may also want to poke around at several of your local gun ranges to have this discussion with many of the experienced shooters/hunters there, as they could be a wealth of information to get you started. It is also advisable to make a deep-dive into your state's Division of Wildlife resources as they commonly have some information about what types outreach and mentoring programs are already in place, and some outstanding contact info for folks that are willing to help get you into this lifestyle.

I'll say up-front, go into this whole endeavor with an open mind, but as always, be cautious as there will be plenty of "know-it-all's" that will come out of the woodworks when you solicit information such as this.

Again, welcome to the forum. There are a ton of great folks here willing to share literal lifetimes of information and guidance.

Certainly appreciate it. You're a long drive now, but in 5yrs you won't be! The lady and I are planning to move out to the Rockies eventually :) I plan on making a bunch of mini trips out there over the next few years until we find the exact place we want to settle down at.

I definitely plan to hit up the DNR and see what resources they have for hunting. They've been great for all my camp trips over the years.

Not too worried about the "know-it-alls." Even they have SOME good info ;)

I'll share how I started. I went on a semi guided hunt with a group of friends. Only a couple were knowledgeable hunters, the bulk of us were beginners. Another way is to start scouting. Knowing the patterns and habits of game is huge. You camp so you already have a head start there. Youtube will show you a bunch of cleaning and butchering techniques. And lastly you're already networking so sooner or later it'll fall into place. Maybe the NRA can help.

Of course if you could find a group of hunters that is best. But if not don't let that deter you. My brother is getting ready to go out to CO to hunt soon. He's been going for years. Our Dad didn't hunt so we learned on our own. We also had friends show us but the bulk we learned by ourselves. Also my brother spoke to CPW a lot out there and I believe his demeanor helped him with them and the locals.

For sure, one way or another I'm getting out there. I'm just the kind of person that wants to be as educated as I can be before I embark on anything. When it includes firearms I'm doubly cautious.

I just want to do this legally, safely, and respectfully. If I'm going to make this a lifestyle for the future, I want to start out on the right foot.

Lots of good info thus far, and I appreciate it!

I was born in Chicago and grew up out in the farmlands of Illinois and Iowa. Illinois started their whitetail program when we left. A few years back I heard they have huge whitetails out there. You may do some scouting before you move :)

I was born in Chicago and grew up out in the farmlands of Illinois and Iowa. Illinois started their whitetail program when we left. A few years back I heard they have huge whitetails out there. You may do some scouting before you move :)

Nice! I grew up IN the city but I'm out closer to Rockford now. I'm on 5 acres surrounded by a few hundred acres of corn. One other thing I'm trying to figure out is the legality of hunting on my property or adjacent to

Nice! I grew up IN the city but I'm out closer to Rockford now. I'm on 5 acres surrounded by a few hundred acres of corn. One other thing I'm trying to figure out is the legality of hunting on my property or adjacent to
Not far from where I grew up outside Plainfield. I think I'd research the county or city laws pertaining to you place. Most likely county firearms discharge laws. It could probably be cleared up by the local sheriff. The other deal would be your neighbors. Might need to do archery if your neighbors would allow you to recover, or better yet hunt there.

I'll have to check out the Illinois whitetail program too. I have a hunch my neighbors will be ok with it... nothing but redblooded American farmers out here.

I JUST got into archery. I'm comfortable enough with a rifle (1.14" 5-shot grouping at 300yds), but ZERO experience with a bow. Picked up a Bear Archery compound for me with a matching one for the lady. That's one thing I plan to practice on my land