.17 Hmr Cz

Guy M

IMG_0036.jpg

Fifty yard, five shot group. Fired from bipod on a picnic table w/Hornady V-Max ammo. I was pleased!

IMG_0038.jpg

The little CZ rifle. Well made and shoots great! It's going to be a present for my son - but I figured I'd sight it in first and make sure it shoots good. It does.

I've got one of those turds -although it's the american model not the varmint.

My shoots about the same lousy way -and the groups really open up out at 100yds. .6-.7".

Somehow i've managed to kill hundreds of ground squirrels -praire dogs -crows -jackrabbits few -coyotes- etc etc -and wouldn't take double what i paid for it ..........

CZ rifles are one of the best buys there are...

Good shooting----------ME

Guy,

Sometime have me show you the 100yd group from mine... for a factory rifle shooting factory ammo, it's just about disgusting ;)

I took it along this year when Mikey and I went down to ISSC; we stopped by in Enterprise OR on the way back and did our bit to try and save a farmer's newly planted alfalfa field from an Al Queda cell of ground squirrels :D The crows and hawks were *very* happy with us!

About the American vs. Varmint version thing... when I bought mine, it looked suspiciously like a Varmint version (I've had several American models, in .22 LR and .22 WMR) but the store owner was adamant that that was the .17 HMR American version and they didn't make a Varmint version of the .17 yet. That particular store sells enough of them that I'd think they'd know, but in the end I didn't really care. It carries nicely, it shoots...

The only upgrades I've done to mine are a Brookie trigger shim/spring kit to take up some of the slop and reduce the trigger pull to about 6-8 oz., and some new stock bolts (allen head instead of those old-school slotted screws). Neither absolutely necessary, but they do make the gun that much nicer.

Monte

Been looking over the 17s. Ruger, Remington, CZ, Savage. What made you guys choose the 452? I understand that there is now available the 453 with a single set trigger. Anyone....
db

The reputation for stellar accuracy right out of the box. That and when I took a hard look at the rifle, it seemed to be of very good quality.

Nothing against the others - came close to buying one of them - but the CZ seemed to really do it for me with quality and accuracy. I was certainly not disappointed with the accuracy.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for your post. I see several manufactures make trigger parts and firing pin springs for the 452. Would you recommend these?
db

try Federal V Shock ammo - use them in my green mountain target barreled sako hmr- iv achieved your groups at 150 yards!! opening up to 1.5" @ 275

sag96225.jpg

I have the Savage 93R17BTV, I love it. I put a 6-24x scope on it, and a harris bipod. It shoots friggin' amazing and I love the accutrigger. If it is really windy, sometimes the groups will open up close to 1 MOA. Stupid thing! One hole 3-shot group @ 100 was best i've done yet. Hornady 17gr V-MAX ammo groups the best by far, haven't tried the 17gr TNTs yet tho. Tried almost everything else, Hornady, CCI, Remington, and Federal.

The furthest shot that I've made was 160 yds, and I shot it in the ear lol. Dropped on the spot.

IMG_2413.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg

I do have a ballistic chart out to 250yds tho, and I figured out mildot spacing and distance measurements for it.

Here's the ballistics chart (@ the bottom of the page)
lightbulbBallistic charts of different varmint cartridges and bullets

Last edited:
It sure sounds like your savage is running sweet- i have a Sako Quad with a Green Mountain fluted target barrel, i have honed the trigger and made this really crisp then made a metal bolt so i coul get rid of the tacky plastic one it came with- like yours it key holes @ 100- the best i have had is a one shot kill at 278 yards, poor rabbit didn't stand a chance, i range found it first then adjusted the Nighforce- iv mapped mine to 275 yards- i have found that beyond 200 that Federal F.M.J's work best.

What's the T.N.T round you mentioned ??? i haven't heard of that....

James

Those Cz's are really good shooters for the buck! I got the cheap CZ (513 I think) in a 22lr and It frustrated me so much that I was getting groups at 100 better than my savage 22-250 for a long time. Granted the savage wasn't grouping (that's what was frustrating lol).

Could anyone tell me how the CZ barrels are held in? Screwed, pressed, pinned? Thanks I am looking for a rimfire BR project and cant spend big money right now.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.