16” 7PRC Build - The Rifle that Might Could

I like that model stock. Like it a lot.
But that dude isn't light.
For sure. Weight wasn't the primary end goal for this though. Overall functionality and proof that a 16" barrel can be a viable option in a long range rig were.

You could build this in an ultralight configuration but it wouldn't be that fun to shoot. You could shoot this thing all day. I was able to spot my own impacts at 100 yards at 12-15x.

So, I bedded the recoil lug and now it's shooting ~.1mil groups at 500. Need to stretch it out but super happy with that. I know tons of people out there state that bedding chassis' isn't necessary but my experience has been that it's never hurt and I've always seen some improvement. Just settles everything down. YMMV.

Took it out to 1000 to verify today. Barrel has sped up ~20-25fps (currently shooting 2700fps). Went 10/10 on a life-ish size ram target. Last one held center mass of the head…impact. At a DA of 6706 impact velocity was 1737 fps w/ 1172 ft/lbs. Seems like 16" works for long range.

Took it out to 1000 to verify today. Barrel has sped up ~20-25fps (currently shooting 2700fps). Went 10/10 on a life-ish size ram target. Last one held center mass of the head…impact. At a DA of 6706 impact velocity was 1737 fps w/ 1172 ft/lbs. Seems like 16" works for long range.
This is awesome. Makes me feel real good about going with an 18" barrel for my build instead of 20/22 like I was originally thinking.

Load details again and barrel/ twist?

Awesome info

Load details again and barrel/ twist?

Awesome info
Currently shooting factory Federal Premium w/ 175gr ELD-X. My time is really limited right now as far as being able to reload goes, and luck would have it that this factory ammo is pretty consistent and it shoots it pretty well. When I start reloading for it, I'll post load data…but that might be awhile.

Barrel is a Bartlein 1:8 twist, Heavy Palma, that has been Murder Hornet fluted.

This is awesome. Makes me feel real good about going with an 18" barrel for my build instead of 20/22 like I was originally thinking.
Have 18, 20, 22. My 18 is awesome. Went 20 on this current build for giggles. Likely will just go back to the 18. I run 135's just below 3000.

You won't miss it at all.
I've been doing all my builds in shorter barrels lately and have not lost much. Love the 18" barrel suppressed. Here's my 308s. Everything now I build is 18 or 20 max. Have a 18" 22 Creedmoor and 6.5-284 Norma in the works now.

IMG_2453.jpeg

IMG_2456.jpeg

Somewhere in my initial calculations I must have left something out or the real products were heavier than spec'd but it ended up being kind of a pig. 14lbs 2oz with the ZCO and suppressor. Very comfortable to shoot because of that though. Haha. The mantra of ounces = pounds holds true. The rifle without scope or suppressor is 9lbs 15oz with the mag. With the ZCO it's 13lbs 0oz. I put a 4-16 ATACR on it and it's 12lbs 8oz (so with suppressor would be 13lbs 8oz ish…didn't weigh that combo). That all said, I'm not sure why but it "feels" lighter than it weighs and handles extremely well. As in when I pick it up I'm not like "****, that's heavy". My guess is because it's relatively short and thus not muzzle heavy and it rides well in my gunbearer on my pack.

I'm kind of torn on whether or not to leave the ZCO on it. It may end up wearing a 4-16 ATACR or Tangent 3-15M, and I may use a Spuhr aesthetic mount or some independent rings instead of the Spuhr QDP. That combination would save 12ish ounces. I also could have definitely used a lighter action, however I've never used anything that feeds from a magazine like these Terminus' so in the end it's a little heavier than I was wanting, but not a deal breaker. Performance wise though it has all the niceties of everything (fully adjustable cheek piece, full length Arca, EFR, QD scope mount, monolithic ultra stiff action, large profile stiff barrel, embedded mini chassis etc), the 16" barrel lives up to the hope, and overall is not a disappointment whatsoever.

View attachment 585138View attachment 585139View attachment 585140
Interesting rifle.

Way too heavy for my taste though. I do like the way a shorter barrel makes the rifle feel lighter, but 14+ pounds seems excessive…if it's a hunting rifle. It will still feel like 14+ on the sling.

Interesting rifle.

Way too heavy for my taste though. I do like the way a shorter barrel makes the rifle feel lighter, but 14+ pounds seems excessive…if it's a hunting rifle. It will still feel like 14+ on the sling.
I hear you. I'm considering changing the scope and can setup (could save ~1lb) but man that ZCO is sweet, and the can works great. That said, I don't carry it on a sling. My pack has the Stone Glacier gun bearer type attachment. Works awesome and radically changes the perception of what you're willing to carry longer distances.

I'm putting together a 6.5 Creed for my kids w/ lessons learned from this build. Should be 10ish lbs with all the same functionality…we'll see.