150 gr 6.5 smk's for hunting effectiveness?

Every bullet types, brand, design, contruction, material, etc. has failed. I would bet about your average, 1-3%.
The worst bullet performance I have witnessed on game were a Nosler Partition and a Swift Scirroco. Both times, they required 3 or 4 shots to end it. From a .300WM under 200 yards (NP) and a .300RUM about 230 yards (Swift).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the 3 fastest kills I have seen on big game were match bullets. .308 in 175 SMK 215 Hybrid, and 6.5mm in the 150 SMK. I mean absolutely lights out dead.

From 18 to 882 yards on big game, and well past 1300 on coyotes on 3 occasions.

Many, many others using various "match" bullets from .224" to .338". I have personally never witnessed an animal go more than 60 yards, and all but that one went about half that when hit by a match bullet.

To be honest, most of my hunting rifles shoot match bullets, and most hunts I am a part of have hunters using my rifles, so take that for what it is worth. From prairie dogs, to coyotes and jackrabbits, to big game of most kinds.

If other hunters choose not to use them, I have no problem with that. But to throw a blanket statement out that "match" bullets don't work on game is naive'.

Every bullet types, brand, design, contruction, material, etc. has failed. I would bet about your average, 1-3%.
The worst bullet performance I have witnessed on game were a Nosler Partition and a Swift Scirroco. Both times, they required 3 or 4 shots to end it. From a .300WM under 200 yards (NP) and a .300RUM about 230 yards (Swift).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the 3 fastest kills I have seen on big game were match bullets. .308 in 175 SMK 215 Hybrid, and 6.5mm in the 150 SMK. I mean absolutely lights out dead.

From 18 to 882 yards on big game, and well past 1300 on coyotes on 3 occasions.

Many, many others using various "match" bullets from .224" to .338". I have personally never witnessed an animal go more than 60 yards, and all but that one went about half that when hit by a match bullet.

To be honest, most of my hunting rifles shoot match bullets, and most hunts I am a part of have hunters using my rifles, so take that for what it is worth. From prairie dogs, to coyotes and jackrabbits, to big game of most kinds.

If other hunters choose not to use them, I have no problem with that. But to throw a blanket statement out that "match" bullets don't work on game is naive'.
+2:D

the only match bullet that's failed me entirely on game is the 155 scenars out of my 308. Unless I shot the coyotes straight on so they passed through the entire length of the coyote they would only poke holes. IMO the 168 amax is the best hunting bullet for deer out of a 308 there is!
The 115 vld, .257 cal can be iffy too, but heck that's recommended for hunting

since the 150 smk is pointed, I would be concerned with expansion. We have shot quite a few coyotes and small game with the 140 nosler RDF. also pointed, if the pointed SMK is anything like the RDF I would stay away from them.

to date, only 1 bullet has expanded for us. all others zip right through with no expansion.

with such a small opening that would be my concern.

food for thought.

Just picked up a box of 150 smk to give a whirl in my 8 twist 6.5 Creed. I should be able to push them around 2800-2900 fps depending if I use hornady brass or if I use the adg and Peterson stuff I've got. First thought by looking at the meplat is they would need to be drilled or cleaned out before I used them on game. I'll have to test them out on a coyote or 2 first before I sling them at a deer.

Looks to me that all the new SMKs are pointed with no hollow opening at all, completely different to the old SMKs
I got some 30 cal 210 SMKs and they are the same now, not sure about the others
I would be extremely reluctant to use them on game animals
The TMKs on the other hand are very aggressive possibly more so than the Amaxes used to be fantastic, if not impacting at hyper velocity
The new Sierra Gamechangers might be a little tough for our game animals.

Following along. I have a couple of 6.5 SAUM's. I've always shot the 140 hybrid with great success on game but the .713 BC on the 150 is hard to ignore. I'd be very interested to see what terminal ballistics the 150 SMK produces on deer and elk sized game.

I have a wire drill set that I clean out all the hollow points that I use for hunting anymore, just for the extra insurance. Just a cheap kit from amazon, but it works great. I may have to get a box after season to try out in my rifle to replace the 147's I'm using. would be interesting to find out anyway.

I have a wire drill set that I clean out all the hollow points that I use for hunting anymore, just for the extra insurance. Just a cheap kit from amazon, but it works great. I may have to get a box after season to try out in my rifle to replace the 147's I'm using. would be interesting to find out anyway.

Hey Cody,
What size drill bit do you use? Thinking of doing the same this fall on the 135 Classic hunter and the 140 hybrid. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.