120 TTSX For Deer?

Catskills

I've used 160 accubonds on mule deer and elk with as expected result. The rifle was a backup for a 340 and 300WBY. This was out west where I lived at the time. I now find myself chasing whitetails on our Catskills farm where shots average 300yds in our largest plot. My present go to rifles are a 270WSM shooting 140 accubonds and and 270WIN shooting 130 Interlocs so this is not about need (which I view as a particularly insidious 4 letter word). I'm frankly looking for a winter project and would appreciate hearing first hand accounts of how they performed at STW velocity. Because my longest shot is 363yds, longer range trajectory benefits are of no concern. I'd also welcome any load suggestions. I've got plenty of RL 26, 7828, RL22, H4831 and IMR4350. To be clear, this is a "I'm bored" project, and if I don't repurpose the rifle, it's probably going down the road to make room for something else.

I have used 140 gr ttsx out of 28 nosler with great success. I prefer to have a pass through, so in situations where I have the closer range shots I'll reach for that over the accubonds. I have no problem getting 1/2 MOA with them either, once you find how far they like to jump to the lands.

I know you asked about 120 gr specifically, but have only used those out of my 7-08.

I can't see any reason why it won't do well. Barnes load data attached. Tough bullet and usually accurate.

Attachments

• STW-120TTSX-Load-Data.pdf
    123.7 KB · Views: 42
Do it. The faster the better with Barnes (solids in general). 120 ttsx is a laser beam out of a STW you'll love it. If nobody else has touched on it, you don't lose much meat at all because the bullets don't fragment so that's nice.

I have not shot Barnes 120's out of the STW. I mainly use 160's - 168's in the STW.

We have killed north of 20 elk, a couple of sheep, and a bunch of deer out of a 280 Rem with the 120's at about 3300 fps though. I wouldn't have any hesitation pointing the shoulder knuckle on a big bull elk with them.

We've switched to the LRX recently for a little better down range energy.

Last edited:
Running 130's out of a .308win @ ~3,160fps (124g Hammers as well), I see no problem on most large animals inside 400 yards... Going to try the LRX's eventually. This rifle was set up for my daughter but I find myself grabbing it due to its weight, Kimber 84 Hunter under Leupold.

I've run the 120 TTSX in my 7 Mashburn Super, it's a lightning bolt! I've zero doubt it'll do the same for you in your STW