100yd load development for long range shooting?

RockZ

I am new to long range shooting and have greatly enjoyed all of the insight you all have given me.After reading countless threads on load development,it appears that you all do your testing at longer ranges.

The problem I have is that the only range near my house is a 100yd range. What kind of load development testing can I do at 100yds that will give me beneficial information to shoot at longer ranges. I do have a chrono .
Thanks

RockZ
Development at 100 is a starting point for longer range shooting. You can develop a load that will give the smallest grouping at 100. Having a chrono is big plus and they are essential for load development to do a Standard Deviation comparison as well as velocity.
Having rounds that shoot at in a single digit SD SHOULD shoot well at a distance. It is essential to find a place to shoot your developed loads over the distances you would expect to hunt in to verify this though. I've had loads shoot well at 100 only to have them start to open at 200 and go further apart from there.
I don't know where you live, but is there no farmland close by you where you could work a deal with the farmer to try some loads over a distance. This may mean after this hunting season though. This is when I do my verifications and drop charts for next year hunting season after this year's season.
Yes you can start development at 100 but you need to verify bullet flight and POI at given ranges.

Thanks for the info. I'll work on keeping the ES and SD low and see what kind of groups I can get. I can then test them at longer range later.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.