10 Ways To Stronger Rifle Field Shooting Positions By Shawn Carlock

Great article Shawn!

After I got my 338 Edge from you back in the spring, I quickly learned that it is hard to find a place where I live in Georgia to shoot beyond 600 yards. The Edge lived up to my expectations, shooting 3" groups on a steel target at 600 yards.

I really wish I had practiced more field positions -- most of my field shooting was done prone with a bipod or sitting on the ground with Stoney Point tripod sticks. I never felt steady enough on the sticks, even with the Stoney Point rear support arm.

Fast forward to the 1st week of November in NW Colorado -- 3rd rifle season for elk and mulies. On the last morning my old friend, Dave, spotted a bull bedded down across the canyon. I ranged him at 648 yards and Dave said "Get ready!" I struggled for several minutes to find a steady position on the slope we were on, and after 3 tries I finally settled in resting my right side and elbow on top of our packs and and against a rock with the rifle resting on the sticks in the front and on the packs in back.

Inposition.jpg

I felt steady, so all we had to do was get the bull to stand up.

P1010803.jpg

He finally stood up and walked to the left, stopping in an opening in the oak brush.

648YardShot2.jpg

The shot felt great, then Dave said "You either shot through him or over him. I saw snow kick up behind him but I cannot see him now -- he must be down!" We waited quite awhile and I stayed on the rifle ready to shoot again if the bull got up. That was when we took these pictures. After about 15 minutes I had to stand up, so Dave got back into his spotting position and kept watch.

Thespotter.jpg

The bull was a 5 x 3. I have shot bigger bulls, but this was my longest shot ever so I was really happy! I "double lunged" him and the 300 grn SMK hit a rib going in on the bull's left side and apparently blew up -- there was a 1-1/2" entry hole in the hide! There were 2 exit holes inside the right rib cage -- one hole about 1/4" and another hole next to it about 3/4", but only 1 small hole through the hide on the far side. But, the lungs were a mess.

5x3Bull.jpg

Then the work began!
Theworkbegins.jpg

Thanks again for the great article and the fantastic rifle, Shawn! I hope to take one of your classes in 2009.

Glad I could help out. Hope to see you in 09 also. That was a great shot from real field position. I have seen the 300 SMK bend and break into 2 pieces many times just like you described at "closer" ranges, like 700 and in. This effect does not seem as common beyond 700-800 yards.

Shawn great artical i will definitely be using some of those tips in my practice for next hunting season. I like shooting at things like milk jugs and pop bottles fillled with water for practice they give a nice pop when you hit them
i have two questions
first have you tried the stoney point converta pod with the tag along (here are the links http://theconsumerlink.com/STONEYPOINT/detail/TCL+T3T38-BXX/110 , http://theconsumerlink.com/STONEYPOINT/detail/TCL+CP112/111)
second is that the remington 700 xcr receiver that you have base your gun in the photos off of.

I have tried the stony point system an found it to not really be to my liking. I much prefer other positions or setups. I found it hard to spot my own shot from.
The recveiver you see in the photos is a standard stainless 700.

Shawn

I was out with my daughter today and we were trying to finish off somebody else's wounded buck. The slope was so steep the bipod legs were collapsing on her, so I loosened the clamp nut up and grabbed the legs and spun them around 180 degrees so they locked up and tightened them down. The poor little buck got over the ridge before she could shoot

Have you ever tested whether a rifle will shoot to the same POI with the bipod reversed?

Thet do. i once even made a shot using a friends long sitting bipod on the fron and moving my short one to the rear of the stock to shoot from an odd position. Too bad you could not put the buck down.

Great article Shawn,

Particularly like the tips on field shooting with regards to rifle canting.

Most blokes put too much into bench rest shooting so it is great to discuss practical hunting type shots under real conditions.

The tree hook idea is great and I for one will be out in the shed making some up to suit my rifle. I think nailing one onto the side of a tree in a few of my favorite ambush sites would be a real advantage. They can be left there and be ready for use every time I return to the same loaction.

Very informative Shawn. THANK YOU FOR SHARING

Russ: I have tried and use the stoney point converta pod with the tagalong rear support. I quickly realized it needs a minor modification. The tripod are very slick making the clamps very difficult to stay fimly held at the desired clamp locations. This allows a heavy rifle to slip from the weight downward. I replaced all the bolts with longer boltsand nuts and applied emery paper around the clamp to tightly grip the Tripod braces. Now The entire setup is alot tighter and will setup as I want it to and not alter on its own.

I have read that it is best when using the tagalong to have some kind of support for your elbow. The tagalong rear upright tends to rock side to side very easily in spite of my modifications. A shoulder brace does help. Still trying to get a better solution on this. Perhaps someone else can share their helpful advice.

Best of Luck may the wind stay at your back and your Game fall close by your truck.
ODAVID

Great article! Thanks for taking the time to write it and adding the photos. #'s 6,7 & 10 are three of my favorite skills/challenges to work on.

A rifle fitting article would be appreciated.

I'm a firm believer in practice makes perfect, but cannot figure out how to practice the angled shots when I live in flat country. Do you have any suggstions? Even shooting an accurate pellet gun at targets in trees would help, but I'm at a loss for targets and how to get them up off the ground.
FWIW When I was a youngin we used to practice shooting acorns and pine cones with our pellet rifles for squirrel hunting. Then there is just shooting squirrels themselves.

Do you make up a range card with your different positions or does your effective range even change with odd positions?

I don't make different range cards for different positions but I know my distance limitation is effected by certain positions and conditions. I don't like shooting off of stix from sitting very much but sometimes that is your only option. I just know I cannot shoot as far off the stix as I can prone.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts