1 scope, multiple guns

Moving it to different guns same caliber have my doubts but should only take 2-3 shots to correct. Different guns different calibers.....not a hope

I think what the OP is asking is after knowing a baseline, if it's reasonable to expect different rifles to have the same dope to correct for zero, should he move the scope to other rifles and back.

Don't think he's trying to hold the same zero for multiple guns across multiple calibers.

I think what the OP is asking is after knowing a baseline, if it's reasonable to expect different rifles to have the same dope to correct for zero, should he move the scope to other rifles and back.

Don't think he's trying to hold the same zero for multiple guns across multiple calibers.
Could be that wasn't clear...just thought I should add my 2 cents in case he wasn't.... Lol

You can be within a few clicks re-mounting to the same gun, but it would be a miracle and extremely luck to move a scope from gun to gun and not have to re-zero for each gun. Funny this subject should come up; I just switched a red dot from my 10-22 to a brand new PCC carbine a few days ago and the windage was perfect for plinking, I did not shoot at a target to tweak it, but the elevation was off by a foot.
I swap scopes on some guns, but its a change in season when I won't be using the other gun for a while. It is irresponsible not to check your zero before going hunting anyway, so, what's the diffrerence? Throw a few rounds down range. You can set up a target outside of your hunting area to check there too.

I'll swap back and forth at the range and during the off season but I don't switch once the season starts. The guns I have the most data on are factory and their POI will change over the course of the year by a click or so. Thus, I feel I need to verify zero before hunting. As long as you know how your guns are shooting and keep track of it, switching scopes is just a book keeping exercise.

If some clever engineer could solve this problem, it would put budget scope companies out of business.

I have come up with a solution for this....

It will enable a scope to "remember" the dope required to reset the elevation and wind age turrets' zeroes for a multitude of different barrels, cartridges or different loads.

It will enable the user to easily reset the turrets to the desired zero settings for any pre-established zero settings and eliminate the confusion of "forgetting" or not knowing how to adjust back to any desired zero settings for a different load, cartridge, barrel or distance.

Aluminum actually works just fine. Look at Varmint Al's website regarding scope mounts and materials. Sometimes Aluminum is better.

I have replaced 2 of my rifles mounting set ups to the same rail on both receiver which is Leupold Mark 4 & put Leupold QRW rings on a LRP 6.5-20X50 scope with the same thing in mind.
I haven't yet got around to working on how many clicks on the windage & elevation to re zero when put on the second rifle but I believe it is possible IF when re mounting this in exactly the same way between rifles.

You just need to record the values(clicks) so to reserve the zero back to the original rifles zero.

I will be working on this in the next few months so will let you know how I go with it & if it is accurate & repeatable.

The closest I have come is two scopes on my switch barrel using the same type of Warne QC rings and just one mount on the action for the two barrels. But it does take two scopes, one for each of two barrels, even when I have just one action.
Ed

So maybe the question is not moving a scope between guns but moving barrels between guns?

Your 2nd statement is what I was thinking.
Check out the ATN X II night vision scope.
You can also shoot in the daytime too.
It can be mounted on 4 different caliber guns and will remember each zero. It has WI-FI, GPS,
audio & video recording, and 1 shot zero. You can send what you are seeing or hunting to a phone or computer and they can watch your hunt. They need to be mounted on picatanny rails. I have a 5 x 20 x 50 that I only paid $527 for. Free shipping and delivered to my doorstep in less than a week from Optics Planet. I hope this helps you.

I love that ATN technology.... but night vision scopes are not legal where I hunt.

So maybe the question is not moving a scope between guns but moving barrels between guns?
Lol. I have that. A TC Contender...223 and 4570....
Ok. So each barrel has a scope...As it Should be!
What was this thread about? Lol.

Attachments

• 20190223_152427.jpg
    20190223_152427.jpg
    774.3 KB · Views: 155
I agree with Bravo 4. Using a single scope for multiple rifles can be done with a degree of success by noting the impact shift under a consistent scope position and attachment torque,,,,,,,then recheck and tune zero. The degree of success depends on the rifles range/accuracy requirement
My best success with scope removal/replacement "on the same rifle" was a few decades ago hunring in Botswanna. My 375H&H Whitworth Mauser was used for a wide variety of game from impala to Cape Buffalo. Using my 270gr load with my 4x Leupold, the scope was zeroed for 100 yards, and had rather costly German detachable mounts(can't recall the brand) that were designed to maintain a consistent zero when removed and replaced...100 yard/1MOA precision/accuracy in my case. The express sights were set at 50 yards with 300gr solids/and 270 gr loads for the dangerous guys in close cover. This system worked superbly, maintaining accuracy with the 270gr load effective out to 300 yards on antelope, my longest kill, and dead on with the express sights when used for Buffalo. It served me on subsequent trips as well. I don't think this system would have worked on different rifles even to the moderate range standard I had, without requiring a scope adjustment at the very least. A few years ago I played with that rifle at the range. With the same loads, it still on....without requiring a scope adjustment.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.