.1 mil or .25 moa, which is best for long range precision shooting?

1/8 moa scopes in my opinion are not needed unless your are shooting precision airgun shooting at 10 yards at thumbnail size targets, scope movments are that small on an 1/8 moa scope that the click are smaller at long ranges than the rifle is possible of achieving in group size, if 1/8 moa was needed on a military scope like a pm2, smchmit and bender would be making it , mil dot reticle and 0.1 mrad clicking scope is ideal for human sized targets. as for shooting 3-4 inch sized targets at 1000 yards a excellent group is that size so yourh expected scoring area is the same size as the target eg so if one round lands high on the esa, and you move an 1/8 moa scope 1 click down youll end up going to low, and visa versa, you could hit anywhere in the esa, im not the best a explaining in writing but anyone with real world experience will understand, some people learn all they know from shooting from sites like this an sometimes get caught up in information thats just not reality, and yes you could hit a 1inch size target at 1000 yards of you can and the next round could hit the same again and the next could be 2 inches to the left and sombody would adjust there scope right but the rounds will fall anywhere with the expected scoring area which is different for the shooters ability. nobody esa at 1000 yards is 2 inches or anything silly like that, thats just not within a rifles consistant capabilty , people have shoit groups that small but that just those one off buy a lottery ticket that day groups

1/8 moa scopes in my opinion are not needed unless your are shooting precision airgun shooting at 10 yards at thumbnail size targets, scope movments are that small on an 1/8 moa scope that the click are smaller at long ranges than the rifle is possible of achieving in group size, if 1/8 moa was needed on a military scope like a pm2, smchmit and bender would be making it , mil dot reticle and 0.1 mrad clicking scope is ideal for human sized targets. as for shooting 3-4 inch sized targets at 1000 yards a excellent group is that size so yourh expected scoring area is the same size as the target eg so if one round lands high on the esa, and you move an 1/8 moa scope 1 click down youll end up going to low, and visa versa, you could hit anywhere in the esa, im not the best a explaining in writing but anyone with real world experience will understand, some people learn all they know from shooting from sites like this an sometimes get caught up in information thats just not reality, and yes you could hit a 1inch size target at 1000 yards of you can and the next round could hit the same again and the next could be 2 inches to the left and sombody would adjust there scope right but the rounds will fall anywhere with the expected scoring area which is different for the shooters ability. nobody esa at 1000 yards is 2 inches or anything silly like that, thats just not within a rifles consistant capabilty , people have shoit groups that small but that just those one off buy a lottery ticket that day groups
AaronEdwardJames have to agree with this guy. Show me a shooter with a scope that is in full 1 MOA clicks and I'll probably show you a shooter that is an accomplished long range shooter. The Marine Corps used Unertles that were 1/2 MOA and did very well with them. One huge advantage on the full moa scopes is dialing 30+ MOA with only one rev of the turret. That's a giant time saver and you did not get lost on what rev you were on. I never saw one real world target that required any finer adjustment than that for elev or wind. Besides, in real world engagements, especially in target rich environments, we used hold off for wind 90+% of the time anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.