“Your groups are too small” vs barrel life

This would agree with the data that Hornady and Keith Glasscock presented. That is, tuning changes in seating depth and charge weight have no statistically relevant effect on group size/mean radius. If a load doesn't shoot to your goals in the first few rounds, you are better off changing powder or bullet (statistically significant effect on group size) than tinkering with seating depth and charge weight (statistically insignificant effect on group size). The one caveat the Hornady guys point out is that as velocity/charge weight increases for a given load, the group size open up slightly.
These guys are mostly shooting 7 mm berger 180 f class bullets. Erik shoots a 7 prcw ( 6.5 prc necked up to 7mm) they also know the most accurate powders from experience. So they are just tweaking charge weight and seating depth.

These guys are mostly shooting 7 mm berger 180 f class bullets. Erik shoots a 7 prcw ( 6.5 prc necked up to 7mm) they also know the most accurate powders from experience. So they are just tweaking charge weight and seating depth.
I subscribe to Erik's channel, respect and enjoy his content and have learned a great deal from him. I am familiar with Alex Wheeler but have not followed his channel. I am not aware of any statistically valid testing that Erik has proffered on his channel regarding seating depth. I do know that Keith Glasscock, also F-class, now PRS shooter was in the same camp as Erik regarding seating depth tuning...until three months ago when he tested his setting depth tuning with statistically valid sample sizes. He concluded there was no difference in accuracy between his "best" tuned seating depth and his "worst" tuned seating depth. I don't question Erik's abilities or success. I am just not sure they are for the reasons suggested. Based on Keith's data, Erik may have gotten the same scores using his worst tuned load. Only way to know is to get Erik to repeat the test that Keith did. Keith also shoots Bergers, but for some reason I thought Erik was sponsored by Lapua and shooting their brass and bullets?

What you are presenting is anecdotal evidence and what I am looking for is empirical evidence. I am new (since 2019) to the long range shooting community and admittedly my experience is limited. I have been frustrated with so many voices claiming their methods are "how it should be done" without any empirical evidence. I am not inferring that their methods don't work, what I am saying is that if so many different methods all produce the same results, accurate loads, then logically not all of the processes in the various methods are as significant as believed. In otherwords, their methods may work, but not for the reasons they think. My goal is, through empirical evidence, to sort out what actually makes a difference in the reloading process and what is just the deeply held dogma of the community.

So far, the empirical evidence I have seen supports the hypothesis that velocity and seating depth nodes are deeply held dogma, rather than something that actually makes a difference in the accuracy of a load. If there is some empirical evidence to the contrary I would love to see it, but at this point in my search for the truth, anecdotal evidence isn't going to sway me anymore than "because I said so".

And just to be clear, I deeply appreciate and respect the experience and knowledge of those in this community, and their willingness to share it. I know that their methods work and produce accurate results, all I am trying to do is figure out why.

Last edited:
Low round count groups are fine for discarding bad loads, but not finding good loads or making claims about precision. You can't say you have a 1" gun if you've never shot more than a 5 shot group. It's probably more like a 1.5-2 MOA gun like most hunting rifles. You might never take 30 shots on game, but someday you'll take one of your gun's worst shots on game. That's what you should be worried about.
For the purposes of the said rifle in my post above, I'm 100% fine with the precision as-is. I don't think placing back to back shots on a 2MOA plate at 1 mile can be chalked up to luck.

The rifle has demonstrated to me to be capable well beyond any shot I would be taking while hunting.

Successfully shooting at a mile makes 1,000 seem almost easy.

My 6.5/06 I use for long range depredation is a .5 moa setup and can hold that to 1000 yards. It holds a good waterline and just spits duplicates for the most part on the chronograph. It did take me a bit to find that particular load but this particular rifle will shoot decent with just about anything. The problem is some days I'm not a half moa shooter. To much caffeine. Spasms. Or just plain **** poor performance. I'm all for cold bore accuracy. I want the tightest groups with the lowest SD and ES. I don't shoot matches. A tight group with high SD and ES ain't hitting on much when it comes to long range. Out to 300 yards is a different story. If a barrel doesn't produce the accuracy I want it gets replaced. On my shorter range rifles moa is the limit. Over that they either go or get worked on until they will do that. I allow 5 to 10 minutes in between shots and once I find a load I may not shoot but 3 bullets a day. But I'll compare a weeks worth of targets for poi and group size. I will take some back to back shots at 30 second intervals or less on occasion just to see what the rifle will do in a follow up situation. It does help that my range is at my house.

Most of Hornady's aim is to sell their bullets and promote their cartridges. They are very good at marketing. But n some ways they are simply reinventing the wheel. There are some very accurate cartridges that have been around for a long time. I don't buy into the hype.

Last edited:
What is this "paper copy" thing that you speak of? :rolleyes:
Do they even teach the younger generations how to read and write any more? ;)
If it ain't on the You Tube than it doesn't exist LOL
And to think a lot of us learned by reading manuals and through trial and error. Very ancient and archaic. We didn't even have computers in college and we had a rotary dial phone.