Your Personal RESULTS with custom long range HUNTING rifles built buy a PROFESSIONAL?

Something to consider is who actually did the work on your rifle. Was it the named gunsmith who owns and runs the company or was it a hired hand in the back room? I have had experience with both and you want to be sure you get what you pay for. I understand having an apprentice on the payroll but that is not the guy I want building my rifle.

I have a McMillan/ Bob Beck built rifle. McMillan action and stock. Bob now owns MOA Rifles. It is in 7mm Ultra mag. Was a development rifle ( he built 2) for then new 195 Berger bullet in 2013 I think. It's sporter weight gun about 7 1/2 pounds bare, but I put a heavy NF 5-25 ATACR on it. It shoots 1/2-3/4 MOA if I can anyway. I had him load the ammo for it with his recommended load and bought 200 rounds. 3100 fps, it is a hammer. My hunting buddy and I have killed probably 11/12 deer and pronghorn with it out to 634 yards one shot kills everytime. It's the gun that just used a lot because of the confidence in it.

I just got my custom built 7mm Rem Mag built off a Rem700 action that was blue printed/trued, 24" Proof Sendero 9twist, 4 port titanium brake, Mesa Altitude stock, spiral fluted bolt w/carbon fiber tear drop bolt knob, topped with Leuapold LR hunter scope. Pucker Factor Precision Rifles did all of the work for me out of Evanston, WY! I will be using him for more work on other rifles/builds and would recommend using Brian.
Loads are 180grn Bergers shooting 1/2" or less if I doy part. I did have him build me a load to get started and have since then done my own loading while getting ready for the season. Haven't had a chance to stretch it's legs yet due to weather conditions in the PNW, but hoping to within the next week.

Lane Precision Rifles. PEROID.
This!

Dallas made me a 6.5 SAUM and 7 SAUM that probably shoot better than any of us on here. I reload my own......They both maintain .3-.4 MOA to 975 (farthest I've shot them), and consistently shoot .1-.3 three shot groups at 100.

7 SAUM shoots 180 Hybrids 2950 out of a 22" barrel and the 6.5 shoots 140 Hybrids 3000 out of a 22" barrel , all with H1000......And they are just plain sexy;) Here is the last 5 shot group from the 7 SAUM at 100.

tempImageQQ89BQ.png

This!

Dallas made me a 6.5 SAUM and 7 SAUM that probably shoot better than any of us on here. I reload my own......They both maintain .3-.4 MOA to 975 (farthest I've shot them), and consistently shoot .1-.3 three shot groups at 100.

7 SAUM shoots 180 Hybrids 2950 out of a 22" barrel and the 6.5 shoots 140 Hybrids 3000 out of a 22" barrel , all with H1000......And they are just plain sexy;) Here is the last 5 shot group from the 7 SAUM at 100.

View attachment 497394
What barrel and action brand on the 7 SAUM?

I have a full custom McWhorter in 300 WM, another 280 AI that I supplied the action and they both shoot lights out! I had them develop loads for both guns.
I have also had a few "Custom builders" build a few for me that came out just ok, over the years with no load development.
The McWhorters shoot well under .5 MOA, they shoot better than I can.

Just going to throw this out there. It should speak volumes.

I currently own 15 customs. 13 were built by Axisworks. They have also done several rebarrels for me.

I have sold 3 other semi-customs that were built by Axisworks to people who offered me the right amount to pry them from my hands.

Alamo Precision, McWhorter and ALTUS have built FULL customs for me.. .
Wait times have gotten really bad on any custom. Look for Rifles Ready To Ship. IF you don't want to wait up to a year , don't buy.

You didn't mention a budget. You are entering High Roller Territory.

IMO the fit and finish of customs are much better than factory rifles. BUT great "hunting" accuracy can be bought right off the shelf.

This is very true. None of the flash, fit or finish, but you can often get a 1/2-3/4moa ruger American for $400. It's pretty ridiculous. My brother has a bubba'd American in 223 that he drags out just to screw with people. Shoots under 1/2moa, looks like a dog. Has a stockys laminate stock with a knee pad spray adhesived and then stapled onto the cheek piece as a cheek riser. Custom dremeled mags to run longer bullets. The bastard will frequently stretch it to 1200 yards and have regular hits on an 18x24 steel. It's just unnatural.
lol 😂
I have a old nasty ugly Rem 788 243 with camo cloth tape covering the entire factory stock and a Bushnell scope that will put almost all 5 shots in the same hole at 100 yards.
Bought at a garage sale many years ago for $100.
Had a old ferel Tom cat causing me grief one year, one day he made a mistake and ran out in my pasture about 150 yards away, stopped and I put the crosshairs right on his ear hole, yep it went right in the ear hole lol 😂

NOOK RIFLE PIC 2.jpg RESIZE.jpg
target nook 2.jpg

I was told when your "daughter gets married you get to get a new gun". So.... last year when she married,
I ordered my first custom from Blue Mountain Precision. A left hand 300-win Deviance Deviant GA Hunter, Manners LRH and Benchmark Carbon. I haven't got to shoot it yet as I still need a quality scope for it.

The wait for the first custom is a long one lol.

While I was waiting, I had been gathering parts for another rifle, one I was going to just re barrel, but it was too late I had already been bitten by the custom bug so to speak, I ended up just putting it up for sale. I used that money to buy a Kelbly Nanook action and having a Local gunsmith put the new barrel and some other work/parts I had laying around together for me. "Nookie" as I call her lol, is a 300 Win Mag with the RM Reamer, a 31-inch HV Bartlein and Holy smokes! it shoots everything I put through it. no doubt the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

I have really enjoyed the gathering parts aspect and making it the way I want them, but like is said above when you do get a good factory rifle, they can shoot really well also.

Good Luck with whichever way you go, be sure to post pics when done and let us know the experience you have.

Attachments

• 01 - Larry Henderson 300 Win Mag (10) (Large).JPG
    01 - Larry Henderson 300 Win Mag (10) (Large).JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
lol 😂
I have a old nasty ugly Rem 788 243 with camo cloth tape covering the entire factory stock and a Bushnell scope that will put almost all 5 shots in the same hole at 100 yards.
Bought at a garage sale many years ago for $100.
Had a old ferel Tom cat causing me grief one year, one day he made a mistake and ran out in my pasture about 150 yards away, stopped and I put the crosshairs right on his ear hole, yep it went right in the ear hole lol 😂

Those 788s shoot small.