young girls first deer rifle..... bullet, loads?

Duane Waterson

Have a friend who just ordered a savage axis in .223 ( muddygirl camo) for his 6 year old. Looking to set it up for a whitetail hunt. I have many proven loads for .223 with light varmit bullets. Looking for something that would do the job with a less than perfect double lung shot. Relatively light recoil.

sir, i have experience from my own daughter
25 g varget
69 gr gameking
should do the trick
easy to shoot and goes exactly where you point it

I think he meant 65 gr Sierra Game Kings. 60 Nosler partitions or their new bonded core 60 something gr bullet will work also. Varget has been a good powder for the 60+ weight bullets for me also. To each his own but unless she could place all her shots under 1" on a target at 100 yards in practice if she was my child she would not be allowed to shoot at a deer. Under one inch on a target becomes much larger dispersion when hunting and near perfect bullet placement is needed with a 223. Loose a first deer shot at can cause a child to NOT want to hunt any more. I have seen it happen. 6 yrs old to deer hunt may just be pushing things a bit. She needs to learn how to small game hunt well before hitting the deer fields. Just my two cents worth and I know that it was not asked for.

i try to utlize brevity, my daughter was 12
and could shoot
i started her on a 22 with plenty of practice.
sorry
and yes it was the 60 grainers . fat fingers

Thanks, She has experience shooting and has been spectator on few successful hunts. Just not ready for .243 has shot .223 well with 50 nbt. But in case of deer feavor want something that would penetrate some bone.

Sierra Gamekings 65 gr
Federal fusion 62 gr
Nosler partition 60gr
Barnes tsx/ttsx 50-55gr
Win power point 64?gr

There are others, but that's probably the short list of most proven. My money would be going to the sierras.

I've been working up a few loads with the 53 and 62gr TSX for my sons Axis 223. Varget has been the most accurate/consistent powder so far (one ragged hole-1/2"groups at 100).
Getting a little better velocities with Benchmark and H335, but not quite as accurate at 1"-1 1/4". Good enough for a 100 yard shot on our smaller Vancouver Island blacktails, but going to play with seating depths a little more to see if they will tighten up.

Watched a LITTLE 10yo girl take two deer on the TN juvenile hunt this past weekend. She was using a .270 with the Remington reduced recoil loads, both deer were mature doe and DRT!

Her dad said he initially bought her a .243 and she had trouble with the recoil. One day out of curiosity he picked up a box of the reduced recoil loads for his .270 and said it kicks much less than the .243.

I've never considered the RR ammo because I only have teenage boys who would shoot an RPG if I would let them! Her dad got the hunt on video and I took special notice to watch the recoil and how it affected her. It was not bad at all and she said she never even noticed it.

Just food for thought as .223 IMO is border line small for deer (esp with an inexperienced shooter).

It is important that you load ammo that is accurate. For a young hunter it is important to experience the gun, load and hunt as a winner. I would recommend Sierra Game King bullets. They are very accurate and dependable.

Watched a LITTLE 10yo girl take two deer on the TN juvenile hunt this past weekend. She was using a .270 with the Remington reduced recoil loads, both deer were mature doe and DRT!

Her dad said he initially bought her a .243 and she had trouble with the recoil. One day out of curiosity he picked up a box of the reduced recoil loads for his .270 and said it kicks much less than the .243.

I've never considered the RR ammo because I only have teenage boys who would shoot an RPG if I would let them! Her dad got the hunt on video and I took special notice to watch the recoil and how it affected her. It was not bad at all and she said she never even noticed it.

Just food for thought as .223 IMO is border line small for deer (esp with an inexperienced shooter).

Interesting.... I would never advocate .223 for deer with most factory ammo. having said that though, I loaded up some middle of the road 223 55TTSX loads using h322 for my wife this year.

She is very timid when it come to recoil but seems to enjoy shooting one of my AR's (hers now I guess) She can put the bullet where it needs to be every time out to 200yds. We shall see I guess.

FWIW - I've had good luck with the Nosler 64gr Bonded bullet and 26 gr of CFE223. Very accurate but haven't taken a deer yet with this new (to me) bullet so terminal performance is still up in the air.

FWIW - I've had good luck with the Nosler 64gr Bonded bullet and 26 gr of CFE223. Very accurate but haven't taken a deer yet with this new (to me) bullet so terminal performance is still up in the air.

I was interested bin that particular bullet also. If used would like some specific feedback. Thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.