WY 2015 Advice

rich219

I'd like to put into the drawing in WY for pronghorn in 2015 for one of the top units knowing that I won't get drawn. I'll save up my points until I do.

What options does this leave me with for hunting WY in 2015? Are there any units with OTC tags available that hold respectable size bucks? The lady friend has never been out west and I'd really like to get her out for a pronghorn hunt.

All antelope tags go through the draw, there are no Otc license. However after the initial drawing you can get what they call left over tags. I believe they will go on sale early July first come first serve.

I'd like to put into the drawing in WY for pronghorn in 2015 for one of the top units knowing that I won't get drawn. I'll save up my points until I do.

What options does this leave me with for hunting WY in 2015? Are there any units with OTC tags available that hold respectable size bucks? The lady friend has never been out west and I'd really like to get her out for a pronghorn hunt.

How many PPs do you have, as there are many units that take only 2 or 3 PPs where you can have a very good hunt? By doing what you are proposing you should know that you still have a chance of drawing that top unit that you put in as your first choice in the PP draw when you then go into the random draw everyone is in for a second chance at a tag. If you happen to draw a tag in the random draw you lose your PPs, so the only sure way to keep your PPs for later use is to buy a leftover tag in July and buy another PP between 7/1 and 9/30. I have taken 3 bucks on 3 tags since 2003 in a unit that is not on the radar and all were in the mid to upper 70s, with the last one very close to 80". This year, since I'm retired and have plenty of time to go out early, I scouted in September and then helped my Wyoming buddy take one in that unit that will make the B&C minimum of 82" after the 60 day drying period (see attached).

Attachments

• Wyoming 2014 097.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 097.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Wyoming 2014 095.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 095.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 78
How many PPs do you have, as there are many units that take only 2 or 3 PPs where you can have a very good hunt? By doing what you are proposing you should know that you still have a chance of drawing that top unit that you put in as your first choice in the PP draw when you then go into the random draw everyone is in for a second chance at a tag. If you happen to draw a tag in the random draw you lose your PPs, so the only sure way to keep your PPs for later use is to buy a leftover tag in July and buy another PP between 7/1 and 9/30. I have taken 3 bucks on 3 tags since 2003 in a unit that is not on the radar and all were in the mid to upper 70s, with the last one very close to 80". This year, since I'm retired and have plenty of time to go out early, I scouted in September and then helped my Wyoming buddy take one in that unit that will make the B&C minimum of 82" after the 60 day drying period (see attached).

Very nice!

I have no PP as of now but would like to start putting in for them and find a unit with left over buck tags that would give us a chance at a respectable sized buck.

Very nice!

I have no PP as of now but would like to start putting in for them and find a unit with left over buck tags that would give us a chance at a respectable sized buck.

In that case here is what I would do. Look over the G&F website in the draw odds for units that can be drawn with no PPs (have leftover tags) and that have some accessible public land available. There are quite a few that have enough to have a decent hunt if you have a GPS and chip with landownership so you don't get charged with trespassing, but you'll need to figure on doing a lot of walking. Put an impossible to draw unit as your first choice (hoping that you don't draw it because of what I mentioned earlier) and then put second and third choice units that you should be able to draw along with buying your PP for $30. If you don't draw any, you will have a PP and can still buy a leftover tag in some other unit when they go on sale in July. The other way would be to just buy a PP the next couple years while buying a leftover tag in July in a unit like mentioned earlier and not even apply for the draw.

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I have a very similar question. My dad and I are going to go out there for the first time (non-resident) in 2015. I am not sure how much longer he will be able to do anything like this so the sooner the better. Anyway, if there is any advice it would be greatly appreciated TopGun.

Thanks

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I have a very similar question. My dad and I are going to go out there for the first time (non-resident) in 2015. I am not sure how much longer he will be able to do anything like this so the sooner the better. Anyway, if there is any advice it would be greatly appreciated TopGun.

Thanks

If that is your situation and you need to go this year, I would try to find a ranch in unit 23 that you can gain access to for whatever fee you're capable of paying if you want to shoot a buck. When you lock one in you will have until June 1 to apply online on the G&F website for the tags in unit 23 or you can just wait until they go on sale in July after the draw because that unit has hundreds left due to it being 90+% private land.

Thanks

MDSurgeon, where on the Shore are you? I'm in Talbot County.
I'm back to zero points but will be taking my 13 year old on his first (DIY) Wyoming antelope hunt next fall.
We'll put in for a decent unit (maybe increase our odds with a "special" tag) and hope to draw. If we don't draw (likely) we'll get our PPs for the future and will then pick up leftover tags and figure it out from there. Even if we only get doe tags it will be worth it. The adventure and joy of hunting with my son (or your Dad) will far outweigh the importance of a "trophy" tag.
Just make sure you go.
My first Wyoming hunt was with my best buddy and his 13 year son (my godson). We gave up our annual elk hunt to give him his first taste of western hunting and chose antelope because of the high success rate, the excitement of seeing game all day long, and the spectacular open country. We killed 3 bucks and 6 does and it was the best time I've ever had with my pants on. Not one buck was over 13" and every one was a trophy!
I slip through Wyoming now every couple of years (usually on my way to an elk hunt) to get a couple of those tasty critters and have never regretted the years with only a doe tag in my pocket.
I'd be more than happy to talk and share what little knowledge I have. Maybe we can even make some noise on the range together sometime.
Sam

MDSurgeon, where on the Shore are you? I'm in Talbot County.
I'm back to zero points but will be taking my 13 year old on his first (DIY) Wyoming antelope hunt next fall.
We'll put in for a decent unit (maybe increase our odds with a "special" tag) and hope to draw. If we don't draw (likely) we'll get our PPs for the future and will then pick up leftover tags and figure it out from there. Even if we only get doe tags it will be worth it. The adventure and joy of hunting with my son (or your Dad) will far outweigh the importance of a "trophy" tag.
Just make sure you go.
My first Wyoming hunt was with my best buddy and his 13 year son (my godson). We gave up our annual elk hunt to give him his first taste of western hunting and chose antelope because of the high success rate, the excitement of seeing game all day long, and the spectacular open country. We killed 3 bucks and 6 does and it was the best time I've ever had with my pants on. Not one buck was over 13" and every one was a trophy!
I slip through Wyoming now every couple of years (usually on my way to an elk hunt) to get a couple of those tasty critters and have never regretted the years with only a doe tag in my pocket.
I'd be more than happy to talk and share what little knowledge I have. Maybe we can even make some noise on the range together sometime.
Sam

I am from Kent County. What the hell are the odds of that.... That is really cool that you do that kind of stuff with your son. I travel a lot for my job and I just started to see the west about 3 years ago. I have been long range shooting for about 4 years now and decided to pair that with hunting. The Pronghorn trip is going to be an awesome experience with my dad if we can get lucky enough to draw an okay unit. i ma going to put in for the both of us and at least start the process. If we don't get the tags this year I am going to take him Prairie Dog hunting. That is probably more up his ally anyway because he loves the non-stop action. Where do you shoot on the Eastern Shore?

I am from Kent County. What the hell are the odds of that.... That is really cool that you do that kind of stuff with your son. I travel a lot for my job and I just started to see the west about 3 years ago. I have been long range shooting for about 4 years now and decided to pair that with hunting. The Pronghorn trip is going to be an awesome experience with my dad if we can get lucky enough to draw an okay unit. i ma going to put in for the both of us and at least start the process. If we don't get the tags this year I am going to take him Prairie Dog hunting. That is probably more up his ally anyway because he loves the non-stop action. Where do you shoot on the Eastern Shore?

I moved here from Idaho in 2000 and still feel like a displaced westerner. The Eastern Shore has been good to me but I couldn't live without my hunting/ fishing/ camping vacations to the rocky mountain states.
Going on your first DIY hunt out of state seems like a daunting task but with some research, planning, good maps and GPS you'll do fine. No question that an antelope trip in Wyoming is the best way to get your feet wet.
I've always gone public land but buck tags with no preference points are getting harder to draw in units with good public access so securing private land permission may be in my future.
I shoot at Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol club in Bridgeville Delaware. They have rifle ranges from 100 to 1000 yards as well as pistol ranges. Great club, 7 day access, uncrowded and frequent competitions in several disciplines, I shoot F-class occasionally but mostly shoot on my own. The 600 yard range is always open and accessible, the 1000 yard range is only specific days because the other ranges have to be closed down while it's in use. Let me know if your interested in shooting/ joining there.
I'd be more than happy to help you do some planning on your trip and and always happy to meet a rifle guy. There's not too many of us here in shotgun country.
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts