WTB First AR in 308--WHICH ONE IS BEST?

JP Rifles has a program set up for individuals to send a stripped lower and they will complete the lower only or build a rifle to your specs. There are a lot of options to choose from. You can sign up for a "rifle builder" page on his website to build a virtual rifle. Once it is complete you can have it built.

Check it out on the website (jprifles.com) I have a stripped DPMS LR308 lower ready to go, just need to decide what I want. Long Range 260 Rem or another 308 configured differently.

catering to the billionaires. A good bolt for mush much less, and much more accurate.1500-2000 is tops for a semi autop

No billionaire here, working stiff like most folks. Have you looked at the price of comparable custom or semi-custom bolt lately? 3000 - 5000

It's like anything else, you buy quality, you buy it once. It's all about what you like. This goes with everything, guns, cars, whatever. I save until I have the $ to get what I want. Some things just take longer than others. Several years between my JP's.. I've been shooting for 40+ years, pretty much any type action out there, and they all have good points and some not so good.

If you have time to check it out, you might be suprised at the performance of the better built semi-autos vs the bolt guns. See if you can go to a high power match and witness what a semi-auto can do. Every time I go to the range and wait for the Jr. Highpower team to finish practice, I am truely amazed at what their semi-autos with good young eyes over open sights can do.

Last edited:
I'm at Camp Perry right now, and have been cruising Commercial Row looking for AR10 stuff. Currently, we're building several up for use as 1000 yard Service Rifle team guns. We've gone with Armalites, but the guns are being built from the ground up as competition rifles for Long Range. IMHO, that's the only way to go; build it yourself (or specify to a buileder who specializes in competitive ARs) and you know what you've got. Cheap, substandard parts will cause you no end of trouble. Build the right from the ground up and you should have a reliable, tack driving competition rifle ready to take to the line. And again, if you're actually using if for competition, there are very few commercial rifles that come anywhere near the level of quality that's needed for this game.

I totally agree, my first AR10 was an Armalite 10T, really liked it but wanted something I designed. I know a couple of the guys on the JP Rifle 3 Gun Team and shot theirs before I decided on what to build. I had a M1A built at Camp Perry years ago, just didn't shoot it much once I got into the ARs.

My quandry at the moment is whether to have JP do a 1000yd comp gun in 260, 6.5 or similar or something fun like a suppressed 16" .308 for hogs.

No billionaire here, working stiff like most folks. Have you looked at the price of comparable custom or semi-custom bolt lately? 3000 - 5000

It's like anything else, you buy quality, you buy it once. It's all about what you like. This goes with everything, guns, cars, whatever. I save until I have the $ to get what I want. Some things just take longer than others. Several years between my JP's.. I've been shooting for 40+ years, pretty much any type action out there, and they all have good points and some not so good.

If you have time to check it out, you might be suprised at the performance of the better built semi-autos vs the bolt guns. See if you can go to a high power match and witness what a semi-auto can do. Every time I go to the range and wait for the Jr. Highpower team to finish practice, I am truely amazed at what their semi-autos with good young eyes over open sights can do.

I know what you mean, quality costs. my Leupold's cost more than my $70 Simmons scope, but work much better more clear etc.

I'm more a hunter than a target shooter, so 1/2 inch groups to 3/4 inch groups can be had with $1500 guns, those $4000 guns that shoot 1/4 inch groups are fine, but worthless for hunting for the money, unless you are strong enough to carry a 400 lb benchrest around with you, it is not going to make any differance from a 1 inch moa gun to a 1/8 inch moa gun in the field hunting, unless your out west and can shoot prone, most of us have to use shooting stix,or tripods while out hunting from a sitting position.

When we set up and shoot crows from the shooting range, it seems easy, but from a heavy sturdy bench rest, it is. Out in the field, steady aim at 100-200 yards is a challenge on a crow sized target, and that $4000 1/8 moa gun is no better than the $1700 3/4 moa gun,.

I'm not putting down those guns, just that if I'm going to put money into a gun for long range, and 1/4 moa might as well be a bolt.

That being said, I'm looking into having a 260 rem AR built.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.