Wrong Bullet in Berger Box!

Once, when I was reloading, I found a 308 bullet in with a bunch of 30-06 bullets and a few 300 Winchester mag bullets. They all looked the same, yuck yuck yuck. But seriously a friend barrowed his uncles hunting rifle. His uncle was a marksman and a gunsmith and he explained that the gun was originally a 270 but that he re-barreled the rifle with a custom 30-06 barrel. All my buddy got was 270 so he picked up a box of those and we went deer hunting. My buddy had a 200 yard shot at a real nice buck and missed twice. The rifle actually fired but the shots were no where even close. That night his uncle explained what went wrong and how bad that could have ended. It is amazing what eludes us when we are 19 years old.

I find " inconsistencies " in my reloading components regularly. But Im happy to conclude it's because the 3 yr old with pink rubber boots is helping me. I'm content to triple check every aspect of the process, as long as my girl is helping.

In all my years of reloading thousands upon thousands of rounds, I have never seen this.

I was just reloading 100 rounds of 6BR and started with a brand new sealed box of 105 Hybrids. After seating bullets in 72 cases I picked the next one out of the box and started to seat it. I knew right away something was wrong so I backed off the press and the bullet stuck in the seating stem. Upon inspection it was noticeably bigger than the others. How in the world can this even happen in the manufacturing process???? How does a 6.5mm bullet get put into 6mm box at the factory?

View attachment 355635View attachment 355636
That's very unusual, take a ticket in a lottery and if it happens again contact Berger. Anyone I know handloading would pick the problem straight away so it's not dangerous.

I find " inconsistencies " in my reloading components regularly. But Im happy to conclude it's because the 3 yr old with pink rubber boots is helping me. I'm content to triple check every aspect of the process, as long as my girl is helping.
Love your post.

Guys they are human just like the rest of us. Everyone is screaming for more product and they spend millions trying to keep up. More production equals more employees and I can imagine at least a few are new to the game. Some forget as the end consumer it is our duty to double check everything.

It would not have chambered had it been seated. I didn't even come close to seating it before I knew something was amiss. Trying to put a .264" projectile in a .241" hole just doesn't work...........Thank goodness ;)
Don't you think it would have required a lot of extra force to seat it?
I don't know, as I've never tried to seat a larger than caliber bullet in a case.

Yes it would require more force to seat or chamber. But that doesn't always stop some people from trying. Some might just get a bigger hammer.

The same thing happened to me recently. I was loading Berger 6.5gr 130 VLDs from a new, just opened box and found a Berger 6mm/108gr. I didn't notice it was different until it dropped inside the 6.5-284 case. That got my attention! First time I've ever had this happen in 53 years of reloading, but it was a great reminder to focus on the task at hand.

What could have worst is if it was a 115 grain 6mm bullet in the box. May not been seen. That would kicked up the pressure. That's one of the reason to keep only what you are reloading on the table.

In all my years of reloading thousands upon thousands of rounds, I have never seen this.

I was just reloading 100 rounds of 6BR and started with a brand new sealed box of 105 Hybrids. After seating bullets in 72 cases I picked the next one out of the box and started to seat it. I knew right away something was wrong so I backed off the press and the bullet stuck in the seating stem. Upon inspection it was noticeably bigger than the others. How in the world can this even happen in the manufacturing process???? How does a 6.5mm bullet get put into 6mm box at the factory?

View attachment 355635View attachment 355636
I bought a box if .25 cal Swift A-Frames in 100gr and upon opening and examining they were all the 120gr variety in the box marked 100gr. I wasn't too happy with swift over this and they had me send it back (on my dime) in order to switch it for the right ones.

Recent Posts