Wolf Tags available in Idaho

If anyone on the forum is interested on hunting a wolf in Idaho. I can steer you in some directions of where I have seen them. I'll have my tag shortly.................

Randy

If anyone on the forum is interested on hunting a wolf in Idaho. I can steer you in some directions of where I have seen them. I'll have my tag shortly.................

Randy
Where do you live? I'm in Twin Falls and also have property in the Clearwater area. I've seen 53 wolves in the past 8 years. Most of them have been in the East Fork of the Salmon River, Elk River, around Dworshak Reservoir, in Stanley Basin and the Wood River Valley. Saw a pack of 5 west of Fairfield last year. All that I saw were in range of my 300RUM. Don't know if the 250 reached them or not. Now did I just say that???

Gone Ballistic, I am in the Carey/Picabo area and most of the wolves I have seen are basically north of that area. I am on a 400 acre ranch and they chased and killed a coyote next to my barn last November and I have seen two of them twice. So far they have not bothered my horses and it seems that when the elk are around, they are too. There is also a pack hanging around the mormon hill area which is north of that area in the Pioneers.

Randy

I'm familiar with that area. I've hunted a few antelope around that country and shot quite a few doves over there years ago. There used to be a lot of elk out of unit 49 and the Fish Creek area that wintered around Carey. Since the wolves came I haven't noticed the elk I used to see when driving up to Arco. Most of them were between the southern outskirts of Carey to above the hill going to Arco. I would imagine the wolves have pretty much done them in like everywhere else they're located. How long has it been since you've seen a wolf? Are you seeing any elk wintering anymore around there?

Todays Spokane paper has encouraging news regarding the upcoming Idaho wolf season.
F&G proposing if you can believe it. 1) No quota, 2) 2 tags per calendar year, 3) Season August 30-March 31, 4) E-callers OK, 5) Some trapping tags possible in the Panhandle.
Personally I'm a lot surprised, frankly a little shocked to hear them come out this far. I hope it becomes law, if it does I'll certainly happily eat a few words. Good luck if you've got your tag, keep your eyes open if you're wait and see like me, cause a season with that much opportunity to be afield I'll find away to take advantage of. Anybody know what Montana's plan is looking like?

Last edited:
I've been heavily involved with working with the Idaho Fish and Game Commission on the up comming wolf hunts commencing in August and running through March 31, 2012. My primary efforts have been centered on the allowing of electronic calling machines (e-calls). I want to thank the over 230 of you that responded to my email and sent iin your comments to include e-calls to the commission. I truly feel that e-callers give the wolf hunter the best chance at locating their prey and filling their tags. As conservers of wildlife, we, as hunters, need to bring the over-population of wolves into sufficient control. By doing this, each animal species should be able to sustain a reasonable population down the road. My only hope is, that in the zeal of the anti-wildlife, anti-hunter, wolf lover's lack of honoring an agreement made to reinstate wolves in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, through their continuous lawsuits, our other game animals populations are too low to be revived. You folks have proven you can't be trusted and will never have any of our support again. Hunters and fishermen supplied all of the money, work and habitat improvement that sustains our wildlife right down to the food the glutenous wolves enjoyed. You folks just made rich lawers richer. I don't have any antimosity for the wolf, but they, as well as all wildlife competing against man for habitat, must be controlled as they have no natural enemy in our states other than man. Next time you think that there needs to be more than a balance, thin yourselves to make room for them, for you invaded their territory first.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your effort on the E-calls. What we're encouraged by from a non-resident point of view is the length of season, and lack of quota. I can plan a hunt and know I've got an opportunity. Probabilities that a guy will eat the tag are high with wolves, but let me have my time in the woods. Our group probably won't combine our hunt with another tag, plan at this time is to focus on just wolf, maybe a cougar tag if we're calling a bunch.
I actually have tremendous respect for the wolf as a game animal, and also have no animosity. Out of all the players in this re-introduction scheme the wolf never lied to us. Some haven't stopped yet!
A little excitement here in the dog days of summer, others are headed to the lake,I've got to get my caller mailed in for update, checking the snowmobiles are ready, and getting an ATV fitted for tracks. I keep reminding myself it's still just a proposal.

Actually, although it is termed "proposal", it's most likely going to be drafted into Fish and Game law. The basic reason it is referred to as a proposal is that all regulations by Idaho code have to have that statement made precluding the final draft into law. There isn't much available in the possibility of lawsuits, as removing it from the jurisdiction of the courts was accomplished through congress. That doesn't leave any options for the anti's lawyers to try blocking it as they no longer have a platform to work from. Realistically, I don't forsee any changes being made beyond what has been proposed by the commission.

Talking to some of the locals wolf never ended. ( so they say )
If half the folks that imply they've shot an Idaho wolf actually had, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Of the 3 SSS's it's the last one that's most important, and if you can't accomplish that one, the first 2 become very suspect in my book.

You are extremely correct! These things are extremely difficult to hunt. I've hunted them in Canada and Alaska and out of four trips I only saw three wolves, with one that was actually shootable. The one I got we called in with a FoxPro and decoy. The shot was still 322yards. They are extremely cautious in the daytime and have pretty much relegated most of their hunting to night. The biggest problem is when the northern hemisphere is light almow 24/7 you can't hunt them in most areas.
They were real easy to get when opening day of the last Idaho hunt came, if you had a pack located. It became a hap and circumstance shoot after opening day. Being able to use e-callers should enhance the ability to take one. I did see many wolves in our old elk hunting area for a 5 year period of time until the elk dwindled to almost non-existant numbers.

I shot one in the first season and the next year the same thing happened where I shot mine. The elk are basically gone and the wolves followed. I'm sure they come through the area still every once in a while (a buddy got a black one on a trail camera last year) but the overall sign of them is almost nonexistent compared to previous years.

Congratulations Idaho CTD I've ate 4 or 5 tags to this point. Like was said in the north country with lots of daylight I've seen them and heard them, but no shot. My partner missed a white one 5-6 years ago in BC, a chip really (about 135 yards) so he's looking for redemption in Idaho this year. I'll probably wait until the new license year then jump in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.