Wolf caliber and round?

Atip is a Hornady bullet and it is very easy to tune into a one hole @ 100 yards, my 6XC gets it above 2900 fps easy. 1-8" twist will stablize it at 3500 elevation. It will take a wolf out, they are finer boned than a deer. I would guess 400 and under a 39 grain 204 in the chest cavity will turn their lights out.

Perfect!

Understood -

Is the 110gr on the heavy side for the 243 Win? I've not reloaded for something that small before... You mentioned a '110 a tip' - I've never heard of an "a tip"? Would a Nosler BallisticTip be sufficient? I'd want something with sufficient sectional density to ensure complete pass through...

Thanks for all your posts! I've read this thread through a couple times now and realize I have much to learn and thank you for sharing what you have been!
I ran 105-108's for prs matches out my 243 to 1400. The only issue you may run into is your rifles twist rate. I run all my 6'a with 8 twist for comp I run a 108 eld. For hunting the 110 a tip. I shot 3 yotes and antelope this fall with my 6 creed pistol from 150-300. I've shot yotes with the 243 at 800 and less. If you read through all this you prolly already know I use 6.5 mainly. I'd have zero issue with a 6 and it may be my future build caliber for my predator rifle. I still really enjoy my prc tho.

image.jpg

Thx! The ballot item that passed via the population centers (Denver metro + Boulder -> aka Calirado) is absolutely sickening. So, I am going to study predator hunting - coyotes in particular - as practice for when wolves become problematic. I'm confident 'yotes require very different hunting strategies, but I have to start somewhere.

I'm not a rancher or farmer and live in a suburb (but grew up in rural Northern LP MI), but I like elk hunting and wolves are going to phuck that all up six ways to Sunday.

These predators won't limit themselves to wild game and there are many reports of livestock depredation. It would be great if the majority who voted for them became personally, financially liable for all livestock depredation. In many ways, I wonder if suburban/urban dwellers should have the same vote that determines the presence of a predator in rural areas that will not normally frequent those neighborhoods nor have an impact on their day-to-day life. I think not....

There is a "Wolf Tour" about 20 mins west of Divide, CO and its presence just grinds my stump. I understand the nostalgia, but it's a dream and those who perpetuate it are mindless, ignorant fools.

So, if the 243 Win is good medicine, I'll get busy loading for it when the time comes to be able to legally thin the pack.
In the winter ❄️ I use 70gr Speer HP in my other 243's on occasion when I take one
3600 fps