Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

I recently bought a Win 70 Extreme Weather in 30-06 Springfield. So far it has been everything I thought it would be. This rifle shines with build quality, the bolt action cycles glass smooth and the trigger breaks very cleanly at 3#, just about where I want a hunting rifle trigger to be at. The barrel measures 22", which is very handy for me. So far, I've loaded approximately 20 rounds of Hornady 150 BTSP's over H-414 powder, Lapua brass, and CCI BR2 primers. I've installed a Zeiss 3x-9x 50mm scope with Warne rings. The Hornady bullets provide a cannelure and I applied a modest roll crimp. All the groups I have fired have been right on 1" or less. The rifle is capable of more accuracy that I can provide with my skills. I'm working on a good load for a 165 grain bullet for hog hunting. I, too, waited for over a year for the Win 70 Super Grade, however, I gave up and took back my prepaid cash. I'm glad that I chose the extreme weather, instead of a "looker", it's a shooter.

This is a premium grade rifle that won't break your checking account. I highly recommend it.

i got a winchester model 70 for graduation and after shooting it ten times the finish on the synthetic stock chipped away. a friend of mine bought the same gun and when a case was loaded into the chamber it would get scratch up REALLY bad even with multiple kinds of brass

My dad has had a winchestor model 70 since he was 17 and he has had not one problem with it. I have shot the gun my self and it was a fun gun to shoot. Good looking too.

I own Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 30 06 with 22 inch, fluted barell. I put on it Sightron Big Blue Sky scope 4x10x50 and took it to a range for a test. I shot with Hornady, Remington, Winchester and Federal ammo. At 100 yards, shooting from Coldwell rest bench, I was able to get 1.1 inch grouping using Federal PowerShock 150 grain ammo. Remington CoreLock 180 grain ammo grouped at 1.3 inch at 100 yards. Although there are bolt action rifles that are more accurate than M70, Weatherby Sub-Moa being one of them, Model 70 is more dependable while hunting dangerous game. You don't want to take any chances when hunting a bear, a wounded buck or Russian boars. Anyway I highly recommned this rifle. It is very light, fits great, and it has a nice trigger. It is balanced and is well made.....I was considering Remington 700 but I was glad I went with Winchester instead.:cool:
-a hunter from NY

Last edited:
Have not seen one of those newer models, I am still plugging along with my old Browning assembled Win70 CRF SS in 300wby, I don't think I would go hunting w/o it.

Besides it already has a an HS precision stock, one piece floorplate, rifle basix trigger and most importantly it shoots great.

Are they using the Post 64 Classic CRF or the REAL Pre64 action on those?

anyone know?

:) I JUST PICKED UP A MODEL 70 W/SYNTHETIC STOCK BUT NO SS. MINE IS .270 WIN. W/ SCOPE. I HAVE YET TO SHOOT IT:rolleyes: I AM ALWAYS AT WORK. BUT I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A MODEL 70 & I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT IT!!gun)

Just curious what setup did you have?
it is the extreme weather ss with burris signature scope.shoot winchester 150,180 e-tips and accubonds,federal 165-180 trophy bonded tips.just had the barrel cryo treated but have not made out to the range yet.

For those that may be curious as to how well the new Win 70's shoot. I have a load with the 200 grain Accubond and RL17 that produces sub .25" groups at 100 and has been verified several times. The rifle has printed 3/4" to 1" groups at 300 yards with the same load.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts