Winchester Mod 70 Twist Rate

sedancowboy

Can someone tell me what the twist rate is for a Winchester Mod 70 STW LH made in the 1990s Shoots 140s and 160 great but have not tried to shoot anything heavier.
I have measured with cleaning and marker but not exact. I get 9 1/4 to 9 1/2.
Is there some place on the web that has that data available?
Thanks I enjoy reading everyone's posts.

I have a LH Winchester Model 70 that my Cousin got me in the 90s I also use a 300 WM that I built from a old Savage action. I built a 270 Win just to show my son I could out shoot his 270 WSM and I did. Then someone gave me a CZ barreled action in 270 WSM
( Montana Rifle Works built it for CZ) I had Oregun Smith stock for me. If I do my part
they all shoot well enough. Being lefty makes finding actions difficult sometimes.

"The only thing necessary for the Triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."gun)

For the Winchesters, they were a 9 1/4" twist. Mine is that, and all reading that I have found says that. My Winchester put 160 grains Sierra's into a 1/2" group at 100 yards.

My Ruger #1 is a 9 1/2" twist, don't know why they did that for the STW.

I have shot some of the Nosler LR 175 gr loads out of both. They were ok at 100 yards, but Have had both shoot other loads better. I did not have much time to shoot them, or see if I could do better. They were both on really clean guns, as I did a deep cleaning on them before that range day. Now, that was in Ohio where I use to live. I have not done any checks on them since I moved to Washington. Hoping to go soon, as I found a range near me that will accept non-members on certain weekends a month.

Bill

My stainless is a 1:9.25 twist. I've never shot anything over a 160 out of it though. I think 175 would be as far up as it would be able to handle but I could be wrong. @black, which range are you headed to? The only one I've been to since I moved here is kenmore and I wouldn't recommend them as a place to go, the proprietors are exceptionally rude on the rifle ranges. Good 5 stand and trap ranges though...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.