Winchester M70 BACO Action Threading

7mm man

I am about to change the barrel on my Ultimate Shadow M70 made in Spain, BACO version. Controlled round feed, cheap Tupperware stock. Does anyone know the action threading for that version? I am going to pull the barrel here soon but was looking to get my pre-fit started at Mcgowan's. They only list CRF, and 1"-16 thread and 1 1/16"-20 something for the push feeds. Seems to me I have read some possible conflicting information regarding the action threading for M70's. Any insight would be great. I plan to strip swap out the standard LA bolt face that came with it with a mag LA bolt face I picked up on gunbroker and run a 7mm WSM with longer freebore for 180 or 195 Bergers. I also need to upgrade the stock as the stock that came with it was junk. I have tons of 7 WSM brass I scored at an old gun store so no need to try and stop me. I have done (4) custom R700/721/722 rebuilds into custom guns but this would be my first M70. I am a brave, bold or even crazy person as I only have my own home training I go by without a full machine shop.

I am about to change the barrel on my Ultimate Shadow M70 made in Spain, BACO version. Controlled round feed, cheap Tupperware stock. Does anyone know the action threading for that version? I am going to pull the barrel here soon but was looking to get my pre-fit started at Mcgowan's. They only list CRF, and 1"-16 thread and 1 1/16"-20 something for the push feeds. Seems to me I have read some possible conflicting information regarding the action threading for M70's. Any insight would be great. I plan to strip swap out the standard LA bolt face that came with it with a mag LA bolt face I picked up on gunbroker and run a 7mm WSM with longer freebore for 180 or 195 Bergers. I also need to upgrade the stock as the stock that came with it was junk. I have tons of 7 WSM brass I scored at an old gun store so no need to try and stop me. I have done (4) custom R700/721/722 rebuilds into custom guns but this would be my first M70. I am a brave, bold or even crazy person as I only have my own home training I go by without a full machine shop.
Contact McGowen directly; they might know.

Contact McGowen directly; they might know.
I did and the guy told me all controlled round feed actions should be the same, but I am just doing my do-diligence to double check as I have read conflicting things. The fact that they M70's have been made in several different places and countries worries me. Good suggestion though.

I did and the guy told me all controlled round feed actions should be the same, but I am just doing my do-diligence to double check as I have read conflicting things. The fact that they M70's have been made in several different places and countries worries me. Good suggestion though.
It is always best to go directly to the source. If McGowen told you they should be the same, that is your audit trail if it does not work out for you.

That is exactly what I found when searching a few places.
When you get the barrel off, measure the "actual" thread and let whomever you get the barrel from know the "actual" thread you need for your action. They will need the "actual" thread information before making your barrel - 2nd paragraph, last sentence.

1708547659623.png

Last edited:
I've built 6 rifles myself, but a CRF M70 is one I wouldn't mess with personally...I'd have a professional do it.
Timing is a little more precise with the CRF extractor cut, gives them a chance to true the bottom and recoil lug face.
I've actually never heard of someone offering a prefit for a production M70. The tolerances just aren't tight enough...and if you're going to swap the bolt...your entire system is going to need to be custom fit.

I've built 6 rifles myself, but a CRF M70 is one I wouldn't mess with personally...I'd have a professional do it.
Timing is a little more precise with the CRF extractor cut, gives them a chance to true the bottom and recoil lug face.
I've actually never heard of someone offering a prefit for a production M70. The tolerances just aren't tight enough...and if you're going to swap the bolt...your entire system is going to need to be custom fit.
The R700's are never close enough either with the shouldered prefits they make. I have a truing kit. I use it to take a thou here and there where I need it to make it happen. I have also swapped many bolts. I like the the Mac Brothers bolt for R700. It is not drop in. Truing kit for action lugs/threads, bolt face truing kit, and bolt lug lapping make anything within a few thou fit. If this new barrel is off I will get it right. I understand the timing for the CRF claw is critical.