Winchester/Japanese 101’s

The fellas in this forum here seem to hold it in high regard.

I know very little about shotguns, my .02 is just that, nothing more. But I will say, I'd certainly never be turned off by something of this nature being "made in Japan". In my overall experience, whether with guns or vehicles, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Japanese made products. Not junk that's for sure!!!

I received my pigeon grade, 12 gauge 101 brand new as a gift from my dad in 1978, it was made in 1977, 26" barrels IC/Mod, weight right at 7lbs, very nicely balanced and quick handling on quail. When it became available I did order from Winchester a straight grip stock and replaced the original pistol grip that came standard on mine, it was from a newer model 101 that Winchester had brought out a few years later.

Last edited:
Same as @Calvin45 not familiar with Shotguns. However, Japanese firearms of for mid 1970's to mid 1990's were of fine quality.

Last edited:
Same as @Calvin45 not familiar with Shotguns. However, Japanese firearms of for mid 1979's to mid 1990's were of fine quality.
The way I see it there's a reason the Weatherby brand didn't really suffer any loss of perception of quality in having guns made in both Germany and Japan over the years and presently. Glad the Mark V is made in America at present, just seems wrong for it to be otherwise, but the point is neither of those nations really take a back seat to anyone when it comes to making good quality stuff.

I have, a Matched Pair of, 101 Win., O/U's,.. 20 gauges,..
1) The 26" Modified and Imp Cyl is, a Quail and Chukar ( over Dogs ) Buster,.. supreme ( I miss very Few Birds with,.. THIS One ).
#2) Is, a 28" Mod and Full Choke for, the Longer range,.. Doves, Pheasants and Chukars.
I've had them for probably 40+ years with, NO,.. "issues" !
I couldn't afford, a Browning Diana grade so,.. I "Settled" for these and, Now that, I could afford, the Brownings, I'm KEEPING, the 101 Win's !
They are, a PROVEN,.. Winner !

I have, a Matched Pair of, 101 Win., O/U's,.. 20 gauges,..
1) The 26" Modified and Imp Cyl is, a Quail and Chukar ( over Dogs ) Buster,.. supreme ( I miss very Few Birds with,.. THIS One ).
#2) Is, a 28" Mod and Full Choke for, the Longer range,.. Doves, Pheasants and Chukars.
I've had them for probably 40+ years with, NO,.. "issues" !
I couldn't afford, a Browning Diana grade so,.. I "Settled" for these and, Now that, I could afford, the Brownings, I'm KEEPING, the 101 Win's !
They are, a PROVEN,.. Winner !
Thank you for your reply. It's what I was hoping to hear. Lyle

The way I see it there's a reason the Weatherby brand didn't really suffer any loss of perception of quality in having guns made in both Germany and Japan over the years and presently. Glad the Mark V is made in America at present, just seems wrong for it to be otherwise, but the point is neither of those nations really take a back seat to anyone when it comes to making good quality stuff.
My first was German, Second Japanese and now a couple of USA made Mark V. ALL sub MOA
I would not hesitate buying a Japanese firearm of modrn era.

I remember the first bird I shot with mine right after I got it. I was pheasant hunting with my dad and we didn't have any luck in the morning and decided to go back out in the afternoon. The sun was sinking low and right in my eyes when I heard the flapping of wings and my dad saying "get him, get him, get him"…… the dark black shape of the bird crossed over the sun as I swing through and pulled the trigger, the bird crumpled and fell about 30 yards from me. I was elated…. My dad walked over and said "what are you doing?" I replied you said "get him!" He said "no! I said hen, hen, hen!"…….. (hens were off limits in the state we were hunting).

Recent Posts