Wife drew any Antelope tag in area 32

460 Rowland

This will be her first big game hunt at the age of 55. She is in excellent shape. I have hunted Antelope a few times but not in this area. Any suggestions on what general area to hunt would be appreciated.
She shoots a Ruger #1 in 6.5 X 55.

I hunted there about 12 years ago and it was a good area. We hunted walk on land and saw plenty of antelope. If I were hunting there again I'd look for a tresspass fee hunt witha landowner. There was some public land too. The terrain is not difficult. Good luck

I have never hunted 32 but did see a lot of animals along 220 between Alcova and Casper last fall while hunting unit 70 next door.

Bob

Download the Muddy Mountain HMA permission slip and maps. Hunt the Muddy Reservoir/stream area. It is a good sage grouse area if bird hunting interests you. You can probably pick up a few doe tags in Casper.

FYI the HMA and WIHA sections of the G&F website are down for upgrading from 2011 to the 2012 lists. I just tried yesterday to do HMA slips and it will be into July before the sections are back for use.

My hunting partner just sent me a copy of a landowners list from Casper. The Casper F&G office sent it to him. It contains names of landowners in 32. Might be helpful to you.

Congrats! My daughter (15) and I (52 yr old mom) went antelope hunting for the first time in unit 32 last year, and we were both successful! It was her first big game animal, and she is hooked! There are plenty of animals on the HMA land. If you don't go opening weekend, they get smart and hide. We had a couple of chances the first two days and blew them (got winded, shot over animals below us, had them pop up right in front of us unexpectedly at about 10 yds., etc). We ended up coming back several weekends later when it was not crowded, better prepared for the shooting angles, and we filled both our tags. The animals had disappeared from the roads, but we knew where their sanctuary was. If you don't go opening weekend, then be prepared to hike (at most a couple miles). We saw so many animals on walk- in and BLM land, that we aren't even bothering with private because we have doe tags. Bucks aren't too big on public land. There will also be some grouse hunters, but everyone seems to co-exist pretty peacefully. Good luck. We really did see animals all over the unit...Get the permission slip for walk in land, you will be good to go!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts