Why Your Custom Builder

Zen Archery

Started pondering a 2020 project. When it comes down to it I have the knowledge base and can obtain/borrow tools to build my next long gun.
Had a conversation with my custom builder and decided to go that route.
My question for you ladies & gentlemen, what does your builder provide you that makes you willing to wait 9 months to a year-and-a-half for that build?

My question for you ladies & gentlemen, what does your builder provide you that makes you willing to wait 9 months to a year-and-a-half for that build?
For me, absolutely nothing would justify a 9-18 month wait. My barrels do not last 18 months. Even if I had a build I really didn't like, with a concerted effort, toast in 8 months and start over.
Let me state, I do not own a dedicated hunting rifle, so my thoughts may be nullified.

He holds BR records. Has customers that have multiple records with his rifles. Constantly testing new ideas and theories at 1K yards, bringing those practices into his hunting/ LR rifles. Builds them all the same. Makes his own tool's to ensure concentricity. I have shot with him at 1K yard matches and is dedicated to progressing the sport and shooting the smallest groups

My builder has my rifle back to me in days to weeks, never has it been close to two months after I drop the parts off. There is no reason for a 9 month wait if your builder has all the parts unless they are hand building you a stock.

It can take a long time to get the parts, some stocks take months to get.
Some guys are your only choice, I'm building a 375 am, only one guy does that, and he does everything himself. Once all the parts are here, it'll take a couple more months to get it built.
Point is, it's not usually waiting on the smith, it's him waiting on your parts.

A normal custom build should take less than 4 months. 3 months for part delivery and 1 month or less for the build/labor.

Most of the time it is much less that 4 months unless it is something exotic.

J E CUSTOM
Do you mind, or like if guys just drop off all the parts? For me, having or getting most parts has never been an issue, but it is rare I need to be the first with new products.
IMO, big time saver.

A normal custom build should take less than 4 months. 3 months for part delivery and 1 month or less for the build/labor.

Most of the time it is much less that 4 months unless it is something exotic.

J E CUSTOM

That is only reality if you can get all of your parts from in stock inventory. Two years ago I was just over 6 months for barrels and a 12-14 months on stocks and 8-10 months on actions IF there were no snafus!!

Do you mind, or like if guys just drop off all the parts? For me, having or getting most parts has never been an issue, but it is rare I need to be the first with new products.
IMO, big time saver.

Many gunsmiths prefer this way of doing business as long as they have a say in the selection of parts if they are going to be held responsible for a certain accuracy requirement.

If you talk to the smith and agree on this method it takes the headache off of him and makes it easy to schedule the work a timely manner.

This is also a good way to spread out the cost of a build over your budget restraints.
(Spend it when you have it)

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
With my Gunsmith, I buy all the parts and drop it off to him, and he builds em !
Best part is how fast he is, once I dropped off the parts on Thursday and Monday he called and said it's done ? Huh done like finished ? Yup so was able to drop in Tuesday and pick up a full custom built 280AI rifle !
Since then Gary has built me 40 or more rifles, he's pretty busy these days so it takes a little longer, we have become great friends, go hunting together,
If I need anything done no matter how minor I can pop into his place as he only lives 30 minutes away,
The other thing is every year we build a rifle together to donate to the Wild Sheep Society of BC to raise funds, he's always willing to support our wildlife in BC so we have lots in common.
I drop the parts off he builds them and I get to test fire the new builds

Minus the "time" and "parts" rabbit trail. 3 of you answered why you use your builder. Thank you.
Interesting how quick turn around may be the factor in choosing a smith.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.