Why use a carbon wrapped barel?

I'm swapping out my current deep spiral fluted steel barrel that's .700 at the muzzle & going to a #4 Bartlein Carbon that's .750 at the muzzle. 21" long.
I wanted the larger muzzle dia. for better surface area for my 5/8 Thread suppressor. That gives me .125 on the diameter or .0625 per side of contact.
Also wanted to keep the weight down &
Have a slightly larger profile as well as some rigidity.

Last edited:
out of curiosity what is it chambered in and why pull it? I've never owned a Benchmark, did you get good barrel life out of it?
Its a 7wsm with 200 rounds through it,
I'm only pulling it to have a 30 Nosler installed.
I plan on running it as a switch barrel set up, when I'm elk hunting in open country I'll screw the 30 on.
Benchmark barrels are excellent in my experience, they are also super easy to clean.

I'm swapping out my current deep spiral fluted steel barrel that's .700 at the muzzle & going to a #4 Bartlein Carbon that's .750 at the muzzle. 21" long.
I wanted the larger muzzle dia. for better surface area for my 5/8 Thread suppressor.
Also wanted to keep the weight down &
Have a slightly larger profile as well as some added rigidity.
A hate to say it but you're going to lose rigidity going to CF, I've read multiple tests showing a #3 is stiffer.

I'm swapping out my current deep spiral fluted steel barrel that's .700 at the muzzle & going to a #4 Bartlein Carbon...
The data on those barrels is proving them to be at the top in the carbon fiber industry. Who's your smith? I have a Kimber Montana currently chambered in .325 WSM that I would love to re-barrel with the same #4 Bartlein Carbon!

Send it 284:
I guess I'll compare the 2 & see if that's what I find in my specific case. My current barrel is more of a straight slim profile rather than a progressive taper & pretty lightweight so it may be a bit different result.
Also adding a suppressor may affect the barrels differently as well.
Also I believe Bartlein is a bit different in regards to their core steel profile, &
Mine will be in their MOD 400 BB core material. And may be a few oz. heavier.

We'll see.

Last edited:
The data on those barrels is proving them to be at the top in the carbon fiber industry. Who's your smith? I have a Kimber Montana currently chambered in .325 WSM that I would love to re-barrel with the same #4 Bartlein Carbon!
Agree, proving to be a good option.
I'll be interested to see how mine performs in comparison to others I've had. I went with the MOD 400 BB core material as well, adding potential barrel life.
I'll be having it chambered in 6.5 MAX by
Mike at HCA.

Last edited:
Agree, proving to be a good option.
I'll be interested to see how mine performs in comparison to others I've had. I went with the MOD 400 BB core material as well.
I'll be having it chambered in 6.5 MAX by
Mike at HCA.

Curious why you didn't go with one of Mike's barrels?

Curious why you didn't go with one of Mike's barrels?
I may try one on another upcoming project.
HCA does have a similar Light Hunter profile using Benchmark cut rifled core, I'll consider for my next project.

I will be talking with Mike about his recommendations.

I chose to go with the Bartlein on my current rifle because for me Bartlein's
Cut rifled barrels have performed well. Also I wanted the #4 profile, & to try the new material. Also I was able to order the specific length I wanted. I also like
their manufacturing process they use.

Last edited:
I like CF barrels on my hunters. It seems to me the idea is pretty obvious but I can understand the confusion when someone has a light barrel. Paying 450 for a blank and 300 for chambering, threading etc..... I pay 650 for a proof prefit. I also paid 450 for a prefit xcaliber. It doesn't seem that expensive when you'll have the barrel for quite a few years. Personal pref I suppose. My schneider barrel was 750.00 ready to install so it's close imho.

Main purpose for most is looks, but there is the added benefit of a strong for weight barrel when running suppressors and no walking when shooting strings. My ultra light ss barrels walk a bit when shooting more than 3 rounds. Is that a problem... not for a hunter when shooting 1-2 is normal. Range day banging steel sessions and developing loads I have can hammer down and rarely ever worry about heat issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts