Why the mad dash on reloading supplies?

Offhand I can't think of any propellants any of "us" can buy here stateside that is MFG here stateside. ATK says that some of the RL15 is made stateside, but then I seem to see quite a bit is made elsewhere.

Powder, Primers, bullets, brass and all of that... im good :) I have had to shelve a project for my too young son due to current circumstances, but that's ok, he is only 2 years old atm :) But, better to have it sitting in the safe, which is locked and padlocked inside a closet, than to wait till he can actually use it. My grandfather had my Westernfield 30/30 in his safe several years before I was "old enough" and that was back when .... hehehe well... more than a couple years ago.

Besides, I need to put serious and significant thought into my son's project. I may very well make myself one just like his, so he feels like "hey dad uses it too..." There is no 1 will do it all WELL...but easily many that can do A-Lot-of-it-well-enough. So I will research supply, equipment longevity, and utility etc carefully, then do probably a dual build and heavy supply stock up so we will not have to worry about "bumps in the road" like this.

Actually considering the 6.5 Creedmoor or just maybe a 7 Creedmoor. No such thing as a Magic 1 for all ... :p Always about trade offs.

SCF... are you really as old and crusty as you come off ..? gun)
or are you just cantankerous in general?

/grin
Have a good one!

I'm old and cantankerous. I'm retired from the industry and I own my own prototype machine shop where I make stuff including British Motorcycle parts 'cause I collect British bikes besides firearms.... I work at my own pace, keep the door locked because I dislike company and stay away from the wife. There is a big train whistle on the front of the building with a sign that says "If you want service pull this'.... You pull the chain and the whistle wakes up everyone for miles around and may or may not summon me. Len is older than I am, but not by much.

Talked to my brother inlaw today . He said that he had just came back from a gun show and he said that people where going crazy with the black rifles.(Thank you fainstein everyone is getting ARMED)

I also talked to a friend of mine and he said that a local pawn shop has started selling .223 rounds , 5 rounds per sandwich bag . The owner has sold 12 .223 Ar's in less than 2 weeks.

Its safe to say there is still a "mad dash" on reloading and shooting supplies.

I just bought a CVA AccuraV2 at cabelas. They have had none on the rack lately, I look a couple times a week as they are my neighbors. People are buying everything I guess. Maybe the air rifles will be next. The new generation atr rifles are at least as lethal as a 10-22 with no cartridge, propellant or cleanup and no noise. Just the thing for a covert inner city wacko.

Shhhh.... do not give the politicians any more info.... We all "know" that an Air Rifle is purely a joke..... Lets keep that info in circulation :)

I feel like such an optimist.

Instead of looking at a bare shelf and thinking we are all screwed, I look at the bare shelf and think about how much of that stuff will show up CHEAP in the not too distant future. I just hope that some of the people who are buying up firearms and ammo stick with it and expand the shooting hobby/ sport/ individual right.

This to shall pass and my lesson this time around is to not assume that 9mm and .223 will be readily available.

*Cough* ... a cantankerous old man with one of those would scare me a HELLA lot more than a young buck :p

If I told you it was an Airsoft replica, I'd be lying. Maybe I should post a picture instead of my MG42 machine gun. At 1800 rpm, it's a hoot, an expensive to cycle hoot.

If I told you it was an Airsoft replica, I'd be lying. Maybe I should post a picture instead of my MG42 machine gun. At 1800 rpm, it's a hoot, an expensive to cycle hoot.

I discovered many years ago that ALL automatic weapons are too expensive to shoot, hell a little full auto sub gun and a ak47 dam near ate me out of house and home when ammo was cheap. Full auto is only fun and effective if someone else is buying and carrying the ammo. Am I the only one that wonders why the infamous black rifle is black? They color code cloths, trucks even socks but carry a dam black rifle. Guns should be matte camo........just sayin.

Well, it was fun to build (Thanks DPMS Arms), the frame was actually made right here in Michigan. Took a lot of machining because they expect you to be a master armorer if you buy one and it comes with no instructions for assembly..... (I don't believe you can anymore). It's belt fed over the top, 8mm Mauser with a double claw extraction mechanism. I had to search around for the tripod mount (with seat) and found one at Knob Hill at the machine gunners meet.

Allied troops nicknamed the 42, 'Hitlers Buzz Saw' because it's the fastest cycling machine gun ever produced. It will do upwards of 1800 rounds per minute with a lightened extractor. The Browning and the Vickers are positively slow compared to a 42. Sounds like a chain saw with n o muffler.....

I prefer a couple round burst when I do cycle it which is not often. It's a very rich mans toy and I'm not very rich and you can't find linked 8mm Mauser rounds so you load a belt yourself and thats tedious.

At some point, I'll probably cart it off to Knob Hill and sell it to some rich person who don't mind dumping a couple hundred bucks a minute.

One at a time is more fun and more rewarding. The 42 is pretty accurate past 200 yards. but thats about it. Past 200, it's pray and spray if that lights your fire..... Never tried it but I hear you can see the bullets travelling down range on full auto without tracers, they come out pretty close together.......

I'll have to take a picture of it and replace the AK. It's not as sinister looking as an AK other than the funnel shaped flash hider on the front, looks kind of wacky.

I never owned one but fired one off a bipod on a concrete floor once and still have the road rash scar on my right elbow to prove it, Lots of fun.........if someone else is paying (I bought the ammo for it). The day I caught myself at the range with my little 1800rpm subgun "proud" of myself that I could I could get single shots in full auto, I realized I should just get a closed bolt semi for a third of the price and be happy with it and so concluded my pursuits in transferable select fires...........But... I did get hooked on cans as a result. Everything is better quiet.

Why the tripods have hinged claws on each foot. So they don't walk Your arse on the seat and the claws keep the unit from recoiling backwards.

Everyone should cycle a full auto one time as a civillan.

Now, flamethrowers are a breed apart. The BATFE has no criteria to rate flamethrowers that were popular in WWII. Anyone can have one with no license. Imagine doing a BBQ from 150 feet away.

Spent quite a bit of time working on a Panzer backpack mounted flamethrower for a guy. Had to have new tanks fabricated and pressure certified. Fuel was bunker oil and diesel mixed and propellant was pressurized Nitrogen. The fuel was ignited by a 50 caliber phosporus cartridge that was consumed in the fuel stream. Very interesting piece. An oversized Bernz-O-Matic.:D

Remember,voting has its consequence or to put it another way would be to say "you get what you vote for".gun)

the .30-06 is never a mistake

I do vote... but these days you get to choose from -- Terrible and Worse Than...

I respectfully disagree with a caveat.

The lesser parties like Dr. Ron Paul's Campaign for Liberty Movement has a very good platform. While I don't agree with every aspect of Dr. Paul's plank, He's about fiscal responsibility and the preservation of the Constitution. He's a true patriot. Problem is, a vote for a lesser party is a vote for the winner, Democrat or Republican because that vote is thrown away.

In my case, I would have preferred Ron Paul over Romney but I voted for Romney instead,

I would have preferred Herman Cain over Romney, but the Obama camp scandalized and libeled Cain over the alleged sexual affairs he had. I found it interesting that all the women were from Chicago (Obama's home turf) and once Cain was disposed of, they all vanished but the damage was done and the media capitalized on the scandal...as usual. Herman Cain was an ideal opponent for Obama.

One, he was black, so, the always underlying race card couldn't be raised.

Two, Cain was a successful businessman who came up the hard way, by working hard, getting an education and paying for it (unlike Obama who has never held a paying job until now) and who knows about his education. The media says Harvard but no one remembers Barrack Hussein Obama at Harvard, not even in his supposed graduating class.

Three, Herman Cain was an eloquent speaker with a 'presence', much like Obama.

It would have been an excellent match up and the Obama handlers knew that so they had to 'get rid' of Cain early on.

I'd like to see Cain run again. I don't care who a President or Presidential hopeful sleeps with. it's none of my business, just like it's no ones business who I sleep with (except my wife). I look at qualifications not sexual prowess.

Not that the popular vote means a lot.

The President is actually elected by the Electoral College, a group of representatives who are supposed to represent the voters in that area's wishes. Key word is supposed. Because the representatives can actually cast their votes any way they want to.

One reason I'd like to see the Electoral College abolished and all elections determined by the popular vote.

I suspect that if Cain or Romney was in office, we wouldn't be going through this crap, in fact Romney is a member of the NRA.

BTW: Thank goodness for spell check.....:)

direl and Flip

I agree with you both. But if you look at the states and how they voted you can see why he won. There is a big section of the country he did not win and 47% voted against him. That says a lot, but by the time the next elelction comes it will be even worse for us I'm afraid.
I hope that when the mid term elections come we can get rid of those that are out to do us harm. And I would love to see the electeral votes done away with, there is no way that is right. There is several states that the big cities dominate the politics and laws for the whole state, that is a sad thing for them because they can never over come that.
There are some great people in our school system teaching but I know there are many teaching their on agenda, especialy in college. They hate guns, they hate hunting or fishing and most of all they hate anyone like us and our ideals and beliefs. You can get a course in protesting in California for Christ sake, what does that tell you!!
The protesters do get work for my son is a policeman and so is his wife in a major city. They are on first name basis with many for they have arested them many times before, protesting anything and everything that comes along. And another thing that Pizzzes me and them off is that most of them draw welfare and food stamps. They are anti government and anti everything, but my own opinion is they are anti work mostly and sure as hell dont mind taking free government money.
Like I said earlier in a post we have come to where the teachers in our schools and kindergarden are punishing 5 an 6 olds or older for pointing a finger and saying pow, or making a lego gun are even drawing one. These kids haven't a clue of understanding why they are being punished but by dang they are treated as felons almost. And these teachers are the ones who are teaching our kids their agenda from kindergarden up. They are slowly eroding away our traditional beliefs and values in this country.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.