WHY I PREP MY BRASS AND FLASH HOLES

Personal opinion, I do that Flash hole prepping to all my brass, From 6 BR and .222 to both the Weatherby Mags. To my mind, no ONE SINGLE STEP in the case prep process is the big Game Changer, but all of them collectively, together , makes my brass more uniform. For me that results in tighter groups. Is that important for taking deer at 200 yards, NOPE, but it's very important to me. It gives me confidence.

We did flash hole testing. It matters. I wouldnt go changing it without testing. For example. It has been kind of a rule of thumb not to do it in br. Well the reason we found is that .060 shoots but .070 doesnt. However .080 shoots. So the guys that cleaned them up from .060 probably made them worse. All of this depends on your combo. You just have to test it all.

In an older magazine published in the day a fellow shooter wrote "If in your own mind you believe it has the desired effect you're after then it does"
From Precision Shooting magazine. Mr. Brennan if you happen to read this, I surely miss that magazine every month!
I believe that someone on snipershide has them available for download

I uniform flash holes because there are small burrs on the inside of the case. These burrs can cause erratic ignition. I uniform primer pockets because varying pocket depth causes inconsistent results. I know both issues are true as I have tested them. I have been shooting short range BR for over 30 years and uniformed vs non uniformed brass can be measured on the target. Every single variable matters when chasing the ultimate in rifle accuracy.

I uniform flash holes because there are small burrs on the inside of the case. These burrs can cause erratic ignition. I uniform primer pockets because varying pocket depth causes inconsistent results. I know both issues are true as I have tested them. I have been shooting short range BR for over 30 years and uniformed vs non uniformed brass can be measured on the target. Every single variable matters when chasing the ultimate in rifle accuracy.
I can see you going to the extreme in reloading since you are also an ICE DIVER. I was once a Dive Master with 2K+ dives and an extremist when prepping Brass.

Do a search on the internet on which size primer is better and what size flash hole is better and what combination is best. You will get dozens of different reviews from U-Tubers. I am trying to find a Manufacture/Company/Testing Organization that has certified or actual true data on what is better and why.
If I find something that is actually verified, and data shows the results I will post links to it.
When does anecdotal become data?

I did get some responses from shooters on the "Flash Hole" and "Prime" issue and no matter what I post someone will challenge it so instead of the information I post you can make up your mind on what is or isn't better. I saw Testing done where it was thought at the 0.062 was better for some Competition Cartridges with a Small Primer Pocket and after the testing was done for ES & SD it was concluded that the Standard 0.080 Flash hole was better in both the Large & Small Primer Pockets.
Prime Manufactures did not respond to my request on information.
I did get a response from CAPSTONE GROUP on Lapua Cases with why the have both the Lrg & Sm primer Pockets and 0.0660 & 0.080 Flash Holes. Now Capstone's results were contradicted by several shooter in the field doing independent tests. So you can make up you make up your own mind by doing some research.
Some questions to ask yourself. If the 0.060 Flash hole works better in Competition type Caes - Why not use it in everything????

Hello Leonard,

Thank you for contacting us at Capstone PG. You ask a very good question. To start, it will be easier to start by listing the cartridges that we make that do use the small rifle primer pocket with the 0.060" diameter flash hole. These would be the following. .220 Russian, 6.5 Grendel, 6mm BR Norma, 6.5 X 47 Lapua, and .308 Winchester Palma. All of the other sporting rifle cases offered by Lapua will use either small rifle or large rifle primers as specified by SAAMI or CIP dimensions and use the 0.080" flash hole dimension as standard for them.

What had started the use of the smaller 0.060" diameter flash hole goes back to the start of PPC series of cartridges that have been based off of the .220 Russian parent case. It had been found in testing that the smaller diameter flash hole gave much smoother pressure rise for a given case design as compared to the use of the larger diameter of 0.080" flash hole as shown in pressure testing by the late Dan Pollack. Dan had found in this testing that the smaller diameter of the 0.060" flash hole had focused the flame front of the primer ignition to a much smaller diameter as compared to the use of the 0.080" flash hole. He went on to explain that this narrower flame front in essence bored a hole through the powder column and would ignite the powder charge almost in the middle of the powder column and gave this very smooth gradual pressure rise which had proved itself in the consistency of the groups fired with the .22 PPC and 6mm PPC cartridges early on. Dan said that the best way to explain this is that this emulates the use of a extended primer tube that is used a lot in heavy munitions such as what might be used in cartridges like the 105mm tank round and is actually emulated in the 30mm ammo used in the A-10 ground attack aircraft with a primer that is longer to begin with instead of being a part of the construction of the case as had been done in the past for when the primer would be seated into the back of the case and would feed the flash tube directly.

The other benefit that Dan had seen is that if we could use as cool of a light up of the powder charge to get reliable ignition that we could see additional improvements in the grouping and precision of the cartridge. Based on these early findings from Dan, further research has shown the benefits found with the small rifle, small flash hole configuration would benefit larger case designs and that is the reason that we offer this primer pocket configuration.

In removing any found burrs, simply use an appropriate tool just knock the burr off with a minimal bevel on it. We hope that this information answers the question that you had.

Last edited:
When varmint hunting for me one case misfiring out of 500 is not a big deal, cycle the bolt and fire!
I am unsure how it would be handled in competition

Also, visual inspection would easily catch this with no need to prep primer pockets
I would rather chase the wife around than waste time uniforming primer pockets

Depends on what competition.

In service rifle rapid fire sitting, you have 60 seconds to shoot 10 rounds with one magasine change, 2/8 or 5/5. In the middle of the string, you eject and pick up the next round. At the end of your string, drop magasine and grab your spare, chamber and shoot. Or, throw a round in the port, chamber and shoot.

Bottom line, you could potentially lose 10 points.

These shots were fired through my 28 inch 06. Brass were GI brass fully prepped
Necked cleaned up in the lathe, primer pockets uniformed in the lathe, and flash holes chamfered. Cone shaped like @Coyote Shadow Tracker does his. To quote him, "you be the judge.

20221114_095610.jpg
20221114_095630.jpg
20221109_122610.jpg
20221015_102327.jpg
20221105_224217.jpg
20221114_093855.jpg