Why Hammer Bullets Are Always Faster

Pretty simple philosophy, read pressure signs based upon your understanding and experience. Velocity is NOT a pressure standard indicator period. There are too many variables that contribute to velocity. Longer action, freebore, better brass, longer barrels, different primers, different powder lot, different bullet lot numbers, different environmental conditions such as temperature ad nauseam. Read all pressure indicators to understand what you load is doing. I have a 1968 Savage 110C in .270 Win that could NEVER reach a max load due to VISIBLE pressure indicators. Could NEVER reach the published velocities by Hodgdon, Nosler or Hornady. So in this case velocity was lower than expected but pressure indicators showed it was topped out. No pressure instrumentation but just experience said otherwise. I swapped barrel out 5 years ago and voila! Now it gets there.

Every bullet generates a different pressure curve that is also different for every rifle. You as a reloader are required to understand these concepts. Pressure instrumentation on a highly specialized pressure barrel designed differently than a standard rifle barrel. Rifle manufacturers and associated rifles off a production line are all different. Reamers wear, workers maybe not in their game, barrels that less than expected ad nauseam. So how in hello can they duplicate a designed pressure barrel that is not even a rifle by definition!

Those who choose to learn prosper.

First and foremost I'm glad you are ok, I do want folks to understand when I say I'm pushing it means any load I shoot deemed safe in my rifle is perfectly fine as deemed by the MAN, no hard bolt lift primers are slightly flattened and the brass holds up for 5 or so firings which is fine for me.
They greatly increased speed and flattened trajectory plays perfectly into the way I hunt, once again I want everyone to be safe but as I said before if no one colored out side of the the lines nothing would have ever happened and we'd sill be pounding rocks together trying to make a spark to start a fire, I mean no disrespect to any engineer anywhere ( and I know a bunch of them) but for the most part if it hasn't already been done and wrote down some it's just blasphemy to them.
Hammer Bullets have opened up avenues once thought far fetched or impossible but yet the " Believers" who have cleared their minds and grasped the new technology are enjoying the fruits of their labor.
If it's not for you I get it but I said earlier all these fact and figures, book maxes and so on mean little to nothing concerning Hammers as the drag reduction is so significant,
Not the case at all Bean and I love Hammers and run them exclusively in all of my hunting rigs and I'm a huge believer in light for caliber rounds for hunting. I just no longer push them to the edge and will settle on a middle node with accuracy being the number one goal. I'm a Weatherby nut and run them all in the high 3300's to 3700 depending on. Speed kills, especially with Hammers.

Not the case at all Bean and I love Hammers and run them exclusively in all of my hunting rigs and I'm a huge believer in light for caliber rounds for hunting. I just no longer push them to the edge and will settle on a middle node with accuracy being the number one goal. I'm a Weatherby nut and run them all in the high 3300's to 3700 depending on. Speed kills, especially with Hammers.
I apologize, I got on a long winded jag that was in no way intended towards you, all apologies
Bean

Last edited:
Pressure signs often don't appear 'til 80,000 to 85,000 psi. If you see pressure signs, chances are you are well over SAAMI cartridge pressure limits. All other factors being equal (like barrel friction or bullet bearing surface), equivalent pressure (not peak pressure) is directly related to velocity. But apparentlly Hammers don't have the same bearing surface as some other bullets, so their barrel friction loss is likely less.

I think reloaders should not use more powder than manual maximum. You are already extrapolating from the test barrel to your barrel. You really have no idea about pressure once you exceed book max; pressure rise isn't proportional to powder charge, especially near SAAMI pressure limits. There just isn't a good payoff for living on the wild side of manual loading data. That many people have and lived to tell the tale doesn't mean the next person will. All for a few extra fps?
We have tested the weight equivalent Hammer bullets 3 times and in only one instance did the Hammer go only 27 fps faster than out 150BD2 which is insignificant. The difference in BC is huge in favor of the BD2, passing the Hammer in the first 100 yds. Results are posted on FB pages. I don't think reducing bearing surface significantly reduces friction enough at the expense of BC to make it worthwhile.

We have tested the weight equivalent Hammer bullets 3 times and in only one instance did the Hammer go only 27 fps faster than out 150BD2 which is insignificant. The difference in BC is huge in favor of the BD2, passing the Hammer in the first 100 yds. Results are posted on FB pages. I don't think reducing bearing surface significantly reduces friction enough at the expense of BC to make it worthwhile.
Was the testing done in the same rifle with same brass, powder type, powder weight, and primers?

That's classy right there,

Which Hammer and what caliber was the test bed ?

Post the link to the FB post please

Pressure signs often don't appear 'til 80,000 to 85,000 psi. If you see pressure signs, chances are you are well over SAAMI cartridge pressure limits. All other factors being equal (like barrel friction or bullet bearing surface), equivalent pressure (not peak pressure) is directly related to velocity. But apparentlly Hammers don't have the same bearing surface as some other bullets, so their barrel friction loss is likely less.

I think reloaders should not use more powder than manual maximum. You are already extrapolating from the test barrel to your barrel. You really have no idea about pressure once you exceed book max; pressure rise isn't proportional to powder charge, especially near SAAMI pressure limits. There just isn't a good payoff for living on the wild side of manual loading data. That many people have and lived to tell the tale doesn't mean the next person will. All for a few extra fps?
Would be nice if you were more spcific about pressure and pressure signs and the degree of severeness of any specific sign. Also would like to know how much pressure is associated NO primer flattening. In other words, how high a pressure do you see with primers that are not obviously flattened.

Would be nice if you were more spcific about pressure and pressure signs and the degree of severeness of any specific sign. Also would like to know how much pressure is associated NO primer flattening. In other words, how high a pressure do you see with primers that are not obviously flattened.
No answers to my questions ?????

Recent Posts