Why dial a rifle bore within .0001"

Im very curious how straight a barrel can be cut, and how many makers are not straight forward about their tolerances and "grades".

I will try to find some links to different barrel makers acceptance tolerances. If they honor them is another issue that only you can determine.

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Calibers

Making a Cut Rifled Barrel

FAQ | Hart Rifle Barrels

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

About Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Lilja

https://kriegerbarrels.com/about

These are only some of the barrel makers and you should research the ones you are interested in.

Some barrel makers don't post there tolerances so you are own your own. Only experience with these barrel will give you an idea as to there quality.

What you want to look for is bore diameter tolerance and end to end straightness tolerance.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

I will try to find some links to different barrel makers acceptance tolerances. If they honor them is another issue that only you can determine.

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Calibers

Making a Cut Rifled Barrel

FAQ | Hart Rifle Barrels

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

About Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Lilja

https://kriegerbarrels.com/about

These are only some of the barrel makers and you should research the ones you are interested in.

Some barrel makers don't post there tolerances so you are own your own. Only experience with these barrel will give you an idea as to there quality.

What you want to look for is bore diameter tolerance and end to end straightness tolerance.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

Ive visited all those sites ( including brux and broughton ) and have emails awaiting response. They all assure to hold tenths diametrically and from end to end, but none state their guarantee or expected straightness.

So far krieger was the only one to respond, and they told me of their tolerances and how they are measured but made no guarantees.

Dan lilja is usually really good about answering questions in great detail for me but i think his son is holding more of a role in his company now so im eager to see if he will be as open about their processes as his father was.

J E

What would you charge to check a barrel that has been chambered but is unfired to see how straight it is?

I know of 2 Lilja barrels that were sent out with the bores out .020-.030" from center. When asked about the first one Dan said it was right or it wouldn't have been sent out. My buddy and I had probably used 30+ Lilja barrels by then with a couple marginal barrels. That was the end of my Lilja experience. I still have some really good shooting big bore Lilja barrels though. My .416 Rem is a 3/8" gun and has killed 5 or 6 elk plus 3 or 4 deer to 450yds. There are too many other good barrel makers out there that don't have that attitude so I moved on. I dont know how you can turn a barrel on centers with the bore that far out.

Very interesting thread. Glad to see the gunsmiths participating in this one.

+1

Even though the method and need to check barrel straightness may not be agreed on, At least
I think that with all the post, there should be no doubt that all barrels are created equal.

So when you buy a barrel, how or whether you check it may have a major effect on the performance
of the rifle.

J E CUSTOM

Gotta response from brux yesterday.

They gave me a number and offer to field any questions at my convenience. I couldnt say enough nice things about these guys. We must have talked for a half hour and they were more than willing to disclose how and why they do things. Pretty rare these days.

Long story short, the man informed me he knows of only one way to accurately measure runout/straightness of a rifle bore. Cut it up and check runout at the ends of the sections. He assured any other method involves an assumption or reference.

When i asked him to estimate the worst, typical, and best run out he has seen from a run of barrels. He said he has seen terrible barrels run as much as .02-.03, he felt his production barrels that go out run around .004, and that a really good barrel would probably check .001-.002". He stated that barrels that came close or exceeded .01 would be thrown out.

He also said the ends of his barrels typically run .001 or better.

He added the barrel steel in a production run would be the primary factor in causing run out if the barrel maker has good tools and machines.

After this he went on to state a little arc probably has very little affect on how a barrel shoots. He felt twist and bore/groove diameters were much more responsible for a rifles accuracy and things that he also pays very close attention to.

He went into a lot of detail on why he believes this and even on his experiences that have re inforced these beliefs and i gotta say i couldnt argue with him.

After the phone call and things ive heard in passing, im probably gonna push the boss to let me try a few brux tubes on future builds.

Here is a few pictures i said i would post of the rifles ive been working on lately.
257 weatherby, bartlien barrel, remington action.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    310.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 75
From lilja today

I would say we try to keep everything under .005 thousands, but some I'm
sure have gone out the door around .01, and it is not uncommon to get .001",
which is what we strive for.

Hope that answers your question.

Best regards,

Carson Lilja

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.