Who remembers, Party Lines

As for TV, I was forbidden to watch Monty Python and Benny Hill on the UHF station but where there's a will, there's a way!

You couldn't watch Benny Hill??? That right there borders on abuse!
Our whole family would gather round and watch it, until the sisters would get bored of the sick humor and go to bed.
See, they just didn't know what real comedy was!

Yep, I have 6 brothers and sisters and we would get in trouble if we got caught listening to neighbors. My one brother and I would be talking to our girl friends talking dirty and we would hear people snickering. We had the neighborhood gossiping. 🤣🤣😉
Yes you would hear a click if someone picked up or hung up. 🤣😉

Last edited:
Some places in Canada still had party lines into the 80s, until all the exchanges were updated, rotary phones went about 1992 on the farm...we still have a pay phone at the sub station...only one left..in the area I think..cell service...police still stop in now and then to use the land line

I remember those days.
When I was a kid, We had a wooden box phone that hung on the wall. Party line. Our ring was short, long, short. When we got a TV, 2 channels and an antenna way up on the high point behind our house.
I remember at our house or my uncle Holden's house on Friday night, We had a corn shelling party. One of the adults would take each ear of corn. Remove any bad kernels from the ear. Then hand it to us kids to shell. Put the corn in a clean white cloth bag, Saturday it went to the mill on way to town. Great corn bread and hush puppies.

Oh of course. All the houses a mile or so out from the main line were not party. Several of my neighbor buddys close to the mainline were party line. Yes I can still hear Errol a big mean logger yelling at people who were listening in, then laying their phone down off the hook and telling us to make as much noise as we could.